Ford 5.4 3 valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that all of them will do the job (MC 5w-20 being a good choice). I'd be more selective the longer my service was ...or if I was enduring something unusual in terms of service. That said, we've seen excellent UOA out to 10k (if compressed into a short enough time span) with MC 5w-20 in a 4.6/F150 application.

What's your projected annual mileage ..and what's your typical usage?

Welcome to BITOG!
welcome2.gif

"... best oil ..."?

Depends on a huge host of things. What does "best" mean to you? What are your driving habits? How many miles a year do you drive? How committed are you to extending your drain intervals? How committeed are you to length of vehicle ownership? What type filtration are you going to be utilizing? How do you define "value"? The list goes on and on.

It's very reasonable to expect a minimum of 200k miles, probably more, out of today's vehicles with typical routine maintenance. You can achieve this with 5k mile OCIs and conventional oil. You can also achieve this with synthetics and bypass fitlration. Synthetics and bypass filtration help extend the useful fluid life by extending drain intervals. If you're not into that, the effort/time/money won't pay off.

So "best" is a relative term. There are dino's and cheap fitlers that are "best" for some uses, while other applications might find high success with premium fluids and filtration.

You need to decide how long you're going to be into this vehicle, and how dedicated you'll be to it before it looses it's favored status. Only you can decide what's "best" for your application.

As a generalization, I would ask you to invert your line of thinking. You should be asking what oils to stay away from. And on that line of thinking, I can honestly say that few if any vehicle failures are a direct result of lubricant failure. More often than not, a system/mechanical failure is to blame. With that in mind, just about any decent brand name oil/filter will take your vehicle the distance with no issues.

Last edited:
I would use Motorcraft Blend 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter and worry about things much more important like where to eat supper and what kind of beer to buy.

I put on 16000 miles a year & want to continue using MotorCraft Oil Filters, since they have a silicone Check valve, & are not expensive! I want to stay in warranty since I have the ESP warranty for 7 years or 100,000 miles! I figure oil change intervals at 5,000 miles to stay within warranty! I also am seeking 200,000 miles out of this vehicle, since I am don't want to buy another truck soon! I currently use MotorCraft Syn-Blend 5w-20 at 4000mile intervals, was thinking of switching to Pennzoil Platnum Synthetic 5w-20 since I want to drive this think till the wheels fall off!....Thanks for replies in advance!..

the Motorcraft blend or full synthetic 5w20 are both excellent oils for your application, both of which are available at your ford dealer when you have the services done.

Sounds like warranty is a big concern for you, as you've indicated. That in mind, the owners manual will give you the oil specs for such consideration. Any decent brand name oil will have a product that meet's Ford's specs. The oil/filters you've mentioned will do well, but there are other good choices too.

Other companys have product specific warranties, such as Amsoil. I would trust their warranty committment. The only downside to this is that you may have to watch Amsoil and Ford argue it out, should there ever be a lube-related issue; that's highly unlikely.

I'm also a fairly new owner of a similar truck (mine's an '05) purchased in January with 7K miles. In the course of my research, several things have become clear. One is that, like many have said, the MC 5W20 is great oil and a bargain. Second, the Motorcraft filters are another great deal. You can buy better than both of these products but considering the price, quality and availability, they are outstanding values. I don't think you'll have warranty issues with any top quality oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back