Transaxle oil for Wheel Horse 8 speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello: I just purchased a used Wheel Horse 312-8 garden tractor. No manuals came with it. The transaxle (3 forward / 1 reverse + hi/lo range has seemingly dirty/'sludgy' oil. I would like to change it, but do not know what lubricant to use...What is the spec for the oil in that gearbox?

thank you for any information.

Yep. Gear oil like Brett suggested is what they take. Nice find BTW!! I love those machines. That is one wicked old school, between the knees gear shift trans. It is the very last of it's kind for a garden tractor. They are no more. I believe Toro/WH just stopped making the "Classic" last year. What engine do you have on yours? The latest used a 17hp Kohler OHV single. Do you have the rear discharge cutting deck on it?

Joel

Thank you for the information and the compliments on the Wheel Horse. It is a 1985 or 1986, 12 hp Kohler Magnum engine. 42" side discharge, deck was purchased new in 2000 from a WH dealer.

Nice. There are quite a few deck options for that machine. Seeing as they were made for 30+yrs parts should never be an issue.

Joel

It is really sad that Wheel Horse went down the tubes after being purchased by Toro. I grew up on Wheel Horse tractors and worked for the local dealer in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back