Garage floor and road salt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving into a new house on Sept. 20 and am trying to make a list of things I want to do to the house before moving in. One of the items is sealing the garage floor to protect it against road salt in the winter. Anybody have any tips on whether this is recommended, and if so, what types of treatment/sealant to use? What types of companies typically do this? Is there an advantage to sealing the floor vs just scrubbing and hosing off the floor on a regular basis?

Sealing, painting, coating, or various tile type coverings are all up to you.
Most will make periodic clean up easier for years, and improve the 'look' a lot.
Epoxy coating, while labor intensive to apply will seal and last the longest.
If the floor in the garage isn't in yet, the concrete company can seal it as the last step in the pouring.
Can be done by you as well. Similar to paint.
Google garage floor treatments or sealers. 'U-coat-it' is a brand of DIY epoxy; I'm sure there are others to research.

My house is 10 years old this year and the salt have taken a toll on the garage floor.
smirk2.gif

I'd just seal it unless you want to spend the time and $$ for a paint/epoxy.

I did nothing. I'll end up doing a patch job and then sealing it with a sealer. The sealer has done a excellent job on my driveway.

Bill

The basement floor in our house was horribly pitted and dusting badly. I power washed it (again) and skim-coated the whole thing with Quickcrete concrete resurfacer. It's expensive as all get out, but it worked great. From there I used an epoxy floor paint from my local Benjamin Moore dealer made by Muralo. Really good stuff. Concrete, paint and all had to cost me a good $500+ for the whole basment 40'x40'ish? But it was well worth it. Yes a concrete sealer will be super slippery on a smooth trowel finished garage floor. My basement floor wound up kind of rough surfaced, but that's the way I like it!

Joel

Last edited:
I do like the look of those epoxies... however if you live in a super old home that has lots of oil drips, I think there may be application issues...

JMH

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I do like the look of those epoxies... however if you live in a super old home that has lots of oil drips, I think there may be application issues...

JMH
My Uncle just got done doing his work shop and there was one spot that one of his lathes sat (think smelly gear type cutting oil) that has been soaking in the cement.

He followed the instructions incl the etcher stuff and it is still sticking after 3 months.

Whether it would be ok if a car was driving over it is another story (the mfg says that even on new cement that car tires take it off if you turn the wheel sitting still).

I would think just a normal sealer every 4-5 years would be the easiest and work the best.

The stuff they have out there to clean the cement and then etch it is pretty impressive.

i have friends that have used both the stuff from home depot and sherwin-williams paint store epoxy, they liked the paint store stuff better.

cleaning the concrete floor involves muriatic acid and water to remove the oil and dirt then a through rinse of the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back