Jeep xJ Cherokee.. 180k.. 4.0L Oil recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 xj

is there a good API letter for flat tappet engines?

one with more zinc/zddp?

diesel oil??

halp :p

Don't worry about that stuff. My 96 has 145K on it, and always had either Castrol, Havoline, or Chevron 10W30, runs like it did when new. UOA results excellent.

Use anything you want. You choice will be dictated by your service and desired length of OCI. Keep your injectors clean. That's about it. Even a poorly wearing (by BITOG standards) will probably last until the sun runs out of hydrogen. I recommend Auto-Rx if it's of advanced mileage (which a 98 typically will be).

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Use anything you want. You choice will be dictated by your service and desired length of OCI. Keep your injectors clean. That's about it. Even a poorly wearing (by BITOG standards) will probably last until the sun runs out of hydrogen. I recommend Auto-Rx if it's of advanced mileage (which a 98 typically will be).

Ok cool thanks :)

i just got some valvoline full synthetic (kragen rules 99c a qt)

10w30 i wonder if that would be a good iea to use in the jeep.??

It works very well in a 4.0/2.5 ..as does 15w-40, 5w-40 ..and even some 5w-30 ..and some of us use lighter weight oils too. The norm for these engines was to shed Fe ..which was suggested to be from the timing chain. This appeared to be contained with higher visc oils, but the last major evolution in oils appeared to test this remedy. Stellar UOA were attained with 10w-30 conventional oils. This suggested that additive composition trumped viscosity.

Fuel appears to aggravate wear levels in UOA. Just keep in mind that the term "high" in BITOG language is anything in the higher noise level range ..and that some engines just aren't going to achieve excellence in some views. Many will.

Most Jeep owners I know that have the 4.0 like to run 10W-30. That's probably what I would use too
thumbsup2.gif

Traditional family values.
grin2.gif

..j/k
blush.gif
..up until (relatively) recent evolutions, this engine responded well to heavier oils. HDEO'S fall into that realm.
grin2.gif

Getting low Fe readings (shedding of iron from cylinder walls,valve train,timing chain etc.)has shown that heavier oils,including the 10W-30 types,in the 4.0L engine reduces this reading.Gary has done testing with experimental 20w oil and it shows that this engine will live with that weight,but with a robust additive package being key.That oil is not for general public use.Mind you not all 4.0L engines showed improved readings with a heavier oil,but more than not.Delvac 1,Rotella,Esso XD-3 (all HDEO's) showed great single digit readings on used oil testing along with the thicker 30 weights.

My best buddy is a PI for insurance companies and uses only Jeep GC with 4.0L. He travels all over the state in persute of those milking the state's system(receiving state aid when they are really capable of working a real job). He always get his man or women. You'll never know he's there. His GC inerior is filled with the most technical gadgetry I've ever seen LOL. GPS, Lap tops, camera equipment that Id only seen on TV. The best stuff! When I asked him what motor oil he used he told me he uses any 10W30 that the quick lubes install. 5000 miles + OCI and tranny fluid changes every year. 5000 mile OCI come up quickly and I would probably do 2 ATF changes a year if it were mine along with diff and T/C fluids once a year. But I can't argue with his succuss considering that he piles on 200,000 in a hurry and then looks for another reliable vehicle for his bussy schedule. He's probably about ready now although I don't know what he'll be getting.

I found Delvac 1 to be an oil of distinction here. As with most HDEO synthetics of its caliber, it's hard to make the numbers work unless you're doing annual changes. RTS works well from the oil's standpoint (and price-wise) ..but didn't perform in the wear indicators to the same level.

It's very hard to make all the rounds with too many oils ..at least for my type of sensible usage (extended drains - outside of my "experiments" with Bruce's stuff).

Spend some time looking at used oil analysis results others have posted with that engine. I personally think you could use anything from 5w30 to 15w40, depending on your climate. Those motors are tough as nails.

Alright cool. I notice she runs relatively warm, constantly in the 210 degree zone, and since its flat tappet and has a few miles on her, i think a HDEO would be an alright decision...

Originally Posted By: Ls_Dx
Alright cool. I notice she runs relatively warm, constantly in the 210 degree zone, and since its flat tappet and has a few miles on her, i think a HDEO would be an alright decision...

Honestly an HDEO is a good choice for any engine old or new. We just turned 2000 miles on our new 2500HD with 6.0 and the next change is going to be RTS 5W-40. Thats what its going to live on the rest of its life. We tow daily with it so it gets stressed on a regular basis and HDEO oils have a great add pack for engines that get abused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back