I did bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok to start I have a 95 3.4L firebird I bought 2.5 years ago with 58K on the clock. it was using regular but I switched it to amsoil a few months after I got it. sinve then I have been pretty regular with the changes, every 12K like it says on the bottle and every 2 changes for the filter. well I had been having problems with it for the last 6 months(not engine related) so I had not been able to drive it much so I never thought about changing the oil when I did. I finally changed it at 107K 2 weeks ago. it had 17K on the oil and I didn't change the filter the time before that so that had like 29K on it.
pat.gif
there were no shavings in the oil or anythign like that but I am wondering if there is anythign I should be looking for for the next few weeks? when I change the oil again is should I use something like seafoam to make sure I get everything cleaned real good? or should I do it now and change it in 500 miles? any help is much apreciated
cheers.gif

ok after looking around I little maybe I should forget the seafoam and use that ARX stuff I just saw a post on. that was amazing

Hey Andrew,

Funny seeing someone from firebirdv6.com over here.

ARX may be a good idea. Maybe post a message or email them at their site. I would run a short [3,000mile] OCI perhaps and send a sample for analysis through one of this site's sponsors. I wouldn't leave a filter on a car for more than 7,500 miles ever. On my own cars, 5000 is the max.

Have fun over here at BITOG. Some people here really know what they're talking about, and the others usually don't give out bad advice either...

The worry may be for nothing. I would do a short interval if you like, or maybe 6K with synthetic, then do an oil analysis.

Perhaps an AutoRx clean may be in order, simply because of the 100K milestone, not necessarily your extended OCI's.

Aren't those 3.4L engines susceptible to intake manifold gasket leaks? That's the part that would concern me on an extended OCI like that.

I'd change the oil and filter as soon as possible, capturing a 5 oz sample to send in for analysis. Use a clean small glass jar if you can't wait for a sample bottle.

Post the results here and then you can base your decisions on some facts instead of worrying over speculation. As Ugly3 said, you might of just run the oil up to it's limit.

One other thing you might be able to do if you're mechanically inclined, is see if the oil filler opening is on one of the valve covers. If it is, you may be able to peer inside using a flashlight and look for sludge formation. Search the sight and you should find some pictures of what sludge look like.

thanks for the replys guys. but I have no idea where to begin looking to send in a sample. as for the gaskets, well I was going to rebuild the engine this summer but I just had to pay $1600 for a transmission rebuild so that has been pushed back. I know th rear main seal leaks a little, and there is a very small leak behind the crank pully. :sigh: so much that needs doing and so little money to go around

Andrew,
Another low cost way to give yourself some peace of mind is to cut open the filter to see if there was any damage. If the filter is really gunked up, or shows some sign of internal damage, then you know that there has been some bypassing.

[ February 20, 2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Tones ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back