Esso XD3 0w40, 9600mi, 1999 Freightliner FL70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cummins ISB 5.9l, 15l sump. I changed the oil after I got this UOA. I have had high Chromium and Aluminium readings in previous UOAs, not sure of the cause. Engine is running well. Hours on this oil was about 750.

M2Oil.jpg

look at the higher soot level.
does the rig do lots of idling?
are your drivers over revving the engine?
transmission, auto of manual?
have the lab run a particle count on the oil sample remaining.
what type of oil filter is used?

wear #s are not excessive for that number of miles on UOA and on engine.

try B2 or B5 biodiesel for added lubricity. most the rest of the diesel additives are a waste of money for improving lubricity
http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

you will still need antigel in your winter diesel in Toronto

this new ULSD may be causing extra wear

use the Cummins Strapore oil filter, believe p# for your engine is LF16035
far better oil filtration.

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/en/products/en_prod_inn_stratapore.shtml

avail from your local Cummins dealer/parts house and online

Truck idles a lot. I keep after the drivers to turn the engine off when possible.

Drivers are pretty responsible and I do not believe they are overrevving the engine.

Five speed Eaton Fuller tranny.

All the tests the lab has done is on the results sheet. They did not do a particle count.

I use a Fleetguard Stratapore filter but not the one you listed, Cummins recommends LF3970, so that is what I am using.

I had high Cr and Al numbers on a UOA a couple of years ago, before ULSD.

I add Howes Diesel Treat in the winter and add TCW3 2-stroke oil in the summer. With a ditributor type pump, lubrication of the injection pump is critical.

talk to your local Cummins service shop.

i recommend a high quality bypass add on oil filter to lower the soot #s in the oil. soot is almost as abrasive as diamond dust, heat hardened carbon particles

the by pass filter will pay for itself may times over in excessive soot situations via long engine life, rebuilds and down time is expensive in today's business climate

if Esso XD3 0w40 won't protect that Cummins, no oil will
everytime I'm north of the border, i sneak some of that miracle elixir back with me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steelhead
talk to your local Cummins service shop.

i recommend a high quality bypass add on oil filter to lower the soot #s in the oil. soot is almost as abrasive as diamond dust, heat hardened carbon particles

the by pass filter will pay for itself may times over in excessive soot situations via long engine life, rebuilds and down time is expensive in today's business climate

if Esso XD3 0w40 won't protect that Cummins, no oil will
everytime I'm north of the border, i sneak some of that miracle elixir back with me.

Another one of the many Americans who loves XD3...
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back