High Potassium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back the UOA on my 1999 F-350 7.3 diesel. Everything was good, but the potassium was in the "Caution zone" with a reading of 16.

The truck has 135,000 on it and the oil is right at the 10K mark with 13 months on it. Running Rotella 15-40 through an Amsoil Ea099 and an Oil Guard bypass.

The truck really isn't worked hard, no real towing. I do run various fuels; #2 diesel, biodiesel, and a waste vegetable oil blend.

The last UOA had only 5K on it prior to installation of the bypass. Same oil. I don't remember the filter, probably whatever Wal-Mart had on the shelf. That UOA showed potassium of 11.

In regard to this UOA, the report said high potassium is usually due to coolant in the oil, but they went on to say that since no glycol showed up, they doubt it's due to coolant. I also show no signs of loosing coolant. If it were due to the veg oil based fuels, I would also think that glycol would have shown up.

They recommended I run the oil for another 2-3 thousand miles than either re-sample or change the oil.

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to give a complete a picture as possible. I only found info on low postassium when doing a search, not high. I swear, I haven't put any bananas in with the oil

from bio diesel I'd guess KOH used to make the ester 16ppm not a lot otherwise maybe coolant leak BUT always run a VOA of your oil never know what maybe in ther from the bottle.
bruce

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Contact Terry Dyson for a professional opinion on the UOA.

Do you have contact info for him? I did a search and find his name mentioned often, but I am not finding a screen name.

Terry communicated with me extensively today just out of his good nature. He provided me with a lot of insight. He extrapolated an enormous amount of information that answered many of my questions; questions the lab that did the analysis was unable to answer.

Terry does not feel the elevated potassium should be a cause for concern. Depending on the TAN number, which we don't know, Terry feels this oil may be able to go another 10,000 miles. I'll probably run the oil another couple of thousand miles and then change the oil and both filters.

Next time my oil is tested, it'll go to Terry. It may cost more, but I'm convinced it's worth it. I was very impressed with his kindness, patience and professionalism.

Originally Posted By: Arkapigdiesel
TD is top notch.

+1 and in general he asks you not discuss his analysis except in very general terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back