This ought to stimulate some discussion--IGNORANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently asked on Car Talk Radio:
Quote:
Do two people who don't know what they're talking about know more or less than one person who doesn't know what he's talking about?
It does seem that two people can dig a hole faster than one. We could probably find some choice examples of this on BTOG threads, of which I may not be totally exempt from guilt.
LOL.gif

Quote:
Do two people who don't know what they're talking about know more or less than one person who doesn't know what he's talking about?

Do two IBM PS/1's...
IBM_PS1_20280a.jpg

...equal one IBM PS/2 ??
mc_pc1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so."

Mark Twain

Yes, it's the depth of conviction that thrusts the dagger home.

Lapping paste and grinding compound.

The things we just suppose and hold those suppositions for so long that they become as reality to us. This has happened to me. For example, for many years I supposed the loud noise from the jet engines as the plane was landing was the reversing of the engines (shows how much I don't know about jet engines) to help slow the plane. I had supposed this for 15 or more years until it was just as if actually true. It was recently explained to me, though, that the engines actually throttle up to be ready to pull back up into the sky in case the landing has to be aborted. Hopefully the guy who explained that to me is right.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Recently asked on Car Talk Radio:
Quote:
It does seem that two people can dig a hole faster than one. We could probably find some choice examples of this on BTOG threads, of which I may not be totally exempt from guilt.
LOL.gif

Surely the one-eyed man is king in the land of the blind.

your buddy got it wrong, unless you are talking about carrier landings. If you want the correct answer by someone who does know what he is talking about PM me, I'll explain it in detail.

back on topic: just read my signature!

i'm curious about your explanation, you should post it. i always thought it was for slowing the plane as well. always good to learn new things especially since i love airplanes.

I have watched the engine on a jet from the window while landing and that is just what is happening. The clam shells pop out and the engine spools up and the plane slows quickly.

I can tell you from the pilots seat just how it works on an Airbus A310. I have over an hour in a 3D simulator.

OTOH: on Carrier landings, the engines go to full throttle just before touchdown in case the hook doesn't catch a wire.

Not that I paid it much mind, but a few clips showing the output thrust being redirected forward with movable surfaces kinda gave me my view on how it works.

Less. If the two cultivate their lack of knowledge into more lack of knowledge.
Equal. If they stay apart.
More. If they cultivate correct answers.

Take the multiplication of misinformation when two or more people get together on a subject they know nothing about and combine it with the childrens telephone game (pass a message along child to child down a long line and it becomes totally different). I think that human nature will believe anything if it is what one wants to hear. The media knows this. I guess the typist who hit the space bar at the wrong instant and wrote "them asses" when he meant to say "the masses" actually ended up with a more precise statement.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I have watched the engine on a jet from the window while landing and that is just what is happening. The clam shells pop out and the engine spools up and the plane slows quickly.

Yep many airport jets have thrust reversers. Saves brake life since theyre only used during moderate/slow speed taxiing.

Like others have said your friend is correct with carrier planes going full throttle incase they miss a trap when they touch down though.

I didn't realize that term was offensive.

If American Woman is not offensive, how could concatination of any nationality with a gender be offensive?

^ serious question

Or did I miss something really offensive?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I didn't realize that term was offensive.

Go to Google and enter

define:[word you want to learn about]

without the brackets, of course
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back