What do people think of Havoline Oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Alot of fantastic responses. Thanks. Looks like a good option to use. 06Vtecv6, in regards to break in, do you mean this as a good thing, or in a bad way in that its good at allowing your motor to wear during the seating phase ?

The high amounts of moly is one reason Havoline is great for seating. This is good for break-in.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Originally Posted By: Loobed
Some mechanics
28.gif
say it's an inferior oil and only good for clunkers
28.gif
28.gif
. I don't agree.

For whatever reason my dad agrees. He would not use Havoline in a mower if it was free. He is a pennzoil user.

A friend of mine has used havoline for over 40 years and never had a problem with it once. In my case I'd trust him over most mechanics. As for me I have used havoline for a couple years now without problem, and I also use pennzoil whichever is cheaper at the time. Both are great oils.

Yes FUZZ, I live in Australia, but coincidentally my blood originates from Cape Town hehe, and yes go the Bokker !

Australia may export soem oils to south africa.

In relation to using the stuff in a mower, it seems to be a trend with Pennzoil uers, they even use it as body moisturizer etc. they never like anything else but Pennzoil which is fair enough. If you like something its good to be loyal, and this seems the case with the older generation, look at them scramble for the Brad Penns when they heard it was the old Kendall stuff. Like the newer oils arent good enough for them hehe....

In Austrlaia V8 Supercar racing, Havoline Premium 20W50 which is $27 at the Service station, was used up until 2007 and still is i think by 3 Ford racing cars, right off the shelf ! Being a supplier along with Mobil and Shell, i cant really see any of them being a bad oil.

Quote:
The Delo 400 Multigrade, is the only one with the starburst on it and it is about $10 dearer that the mineral premium and similar to the synthetics in cost. They have the ISOSYN symbol on the bottle and market it with this. Are they possibly charing premium for ISOSYN when it may only be a GRoup 2 ? Or are their ISOSYN GRoup 3 mineral ? Either way i think Delo has gotten some good reviews.

ISOSYN is Group II.

The Havoline motor oils here in NA (North America) like DS (Deposit Shield) are different than those outside of NA -- like Australia where you are. Here in NA all the SM rated oils are Group II/II+ based (except maybe some of the heavier grades like 20W-50). I even recall reading on the back of a bottle of Havoline they state they use Group II on the label. They are excellent oils. Outside of NA most of Havoline's conventional oils are Group I based, and that would be the case in Australia as there is no Group II production in Australia.

The regular Caltex Havoline (rated API SG, SF, SE and CD) would be Group I -- that's why it has an old SG rating at best. The next up -- Havoline Formula (SL rated) is probably mostly Group I based too in the heavier grades. If they have a 5W-30 SL it would have to be majority Group II+ to meet the spec's (but you probably want a heavier grade oil). The Havoline synthetic-blends are also going to be Group I based blends too, which means they're not really that great -- at least compared to the Group II based oils. Although, they're probably as good as any Group I based oils out there FWIW.

Given most of the conventional oils are Group I based, I would look for an imported Group II or lean heavily towards using synthetics (Havoline Energy or Full synthetic) and extending the drain somewhat to offset the cost. I think the Delo 400, if available, would be a great choice. It should be capable of much longer drain intervals than any Group I based oil (including the Group I based syn-blends).

Good info drivebelt. You sure Mobil in Australia is not refining group 1,2 and 3 ? SM would be the most common rating here now, and most Synths are Group 3's. And most Semi Synths are GRoup 1 mixed with GRoup 3, common with Penrite, but Penzzoil have a Synth blend, blended by shell in Singapore with GRoup 2 and 3 oils. Mobil and Shell are the main base stock supplier here, we pull alot of oil out from Bass Strait, and actually most of our oil is local, rest obviously from the middle east. Caltex, Shell, BP and Mobil all refine here, and i am sure we have all group oils, as alot of our oils including Gulf Western, Fuchs and Penrite are all Aussie made oils, which include Ester base, PAO etc.

Yes we generally prefer the 5W40 to 20W50 here in OZ. Imported oils are mainyl Royal Purple, ULX 110 and Pennzoil Platiunum, REdline, Amsoil form USA. We even import GRoup 1 Pennzoil GT Street Machine from USA.

Quote:
I live in Australia, but coincidentally my blood originates from Cape Town hehe

Awesome stuff .... I am going to the game on Saturday against the All-Blacks...

Sorry for going off topic ...

I started using Havoline in my Camaro, largely on advice from this site. Much to my surprise, the UOA did not look all that good (high lead among other things) and I went back to Pennzoil. I'm saving the 2 gallons of 10w40 for the lawnmower, it will just have to make do.

I have not been as impressed by UOAs with the new formulas as the older stuff. Used to be second to none, now I am just not so sure. Probably still great oil, a few UOAs doesn't change that, but my personal level of confidence in it has diminished.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
Quote:
The Delo 400 Multigrade, is the only one with the starburst on it and it is about $10 dearer that the mineral premium and similar to the synthetics in cost. They have the ISOSYN symbol on the bottle and market it with this. Are they possibly charing premium for ISOSYN when it may only be a GRoup 2 ? Or are their ISOSYN GRoup 3 mineral ? Either way i think Delo has gotten some good reviews.

ISOSYN is Group II.

http://www.chevron.com/products/sitelets/refiningtechnology/clgCatalysts.aspx
http://www.chevron.com/products/sitelets/refiningtechnology/iso_dewaxing.aspx

Quote:
ntroducing the all-new ISODEWAXING® Catalyst

Why is this all-new ISODEWAXING® Catalyst so important? It's the most significant advancement in premium base oil production in over a decade.
microscope

Quite simply, the all-new ISODEWAXING® Catalyst produces the highest yields and VI ever for Group III base oils . It is the most important advancement in refining since the introduction of ISODEWAXING Technology itself.

Already, four plants are in production with the new catalyst and a fifth is scheduled to come on line in 2005. This is extremely rapid market acceptance for a catalyst with typically long life.

54.gif

I am anxious to see what my UOA looks like... on the DS 5w30... 06 scion xB ..
I got 3 cases at 1.00/qt :)

That looks pretty good...

I weas thinkin about goin to a syn, but i think that this havoline will do jussst fine :)

For whatever reason, Havoline has never had a strong following here in NC. My grandfather owned a Garage/Service Station from 1955 to 1978, and a Ford dealership from '68 to '72. At both stores, he used primarily Pennzoil, Quaker State, and later on, Union 76 oil.

The station was a Texaco franchise in the late 50's, and he always said that he had lots of people who didn't want the Texaco/Havoline oils in their vehicles, even back then. He also offered Pennzoil at the time, which was what he always used personally. I like Pennzoil YB, but due to the cost (which I feel is paying for the advertising), I use MobilClean 5000, which is a decent oil for 2/qt, IMO.

Oh, and just to put this into perspective, the only filter brand offered at the station was Fram. (He had Rotunda/Motorcraft at the dealership)

Dave

Chevron is a West Coast brand and Havoline was originally a Texaco product, "Tex"-a-co. Popularity could be regional. My guess is that Quaker State's core following is in PA.

Around here, Valvoline is the most popular oil. From what I understand, on the east side of the state SOPUS products are more common and popular. Oil popularity is pretty regional from what I've gathered.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
ISOSYN
54.gif

Ya, it is kind of funny Chevron calls their Group II ISOSYN (and not the Group III).
55.gif
Chevron has only used the ISOSYN in reference to their Group II based products like Delo 400. The conventional CJ-4 oils are listed as using ISOSYN. The synthetic Delo 5W-40 is listed as just using synthetic (which is Group III for Chevron). Isodewaxing can be used to produce Group II or III.

Quote:
You sure Mobil in Australia is not refining group 1,2 and 3 ?

The following article is dated 1999, but I don't believe any new refineries have been built or upgraded in Australia since it was written …

Quote:
Australia…
There are four Australian refineries that produce lubricants; BP at Kwinana (WA), Mobil at Port Stanvac (SA), Caltex at Kurnell (NSW) and Shell at Newport (Victoria). These refineries produce Group I (mineral) base oils and have a combined annual production capacity of about 800 ML (megalitres - one million litres).

Australian crude oils are not suitable for making base stock. Accordingly, lubricants are manufactured from crudes imported from the Middle East.

The capacity of Australian refineries runs far in excess of local demand, which is around 517 ML per annum. This situation of excess supply is a worldwide phenomenon. None of the Australian refineries are considered 'world scale', this would be, for example, three to four times the size of Kwinana. The Australian refineries are not considered to be 'new technology', and none of them can manufacture Group II or higher base oils.

A new refinery that included hydrocracking/hydroprocessing capability to produce Group II and III base oils would cost between $300-$500 million. Investment at this level in domestic refining appears highly unlikely. East Asia, in particular, is well supplied with modern refineries capable of Group II and III base oil production.

The upside is that Australia is close to a sizeable amount of Group II/III production in the Asia Pacific region, and Singapore has become a major hub in the region for base oils like Group II/III. So I would imagine some of the Group II/III from that region finds its way to Australia. The downside is that oil producers tend to like to use their existing refineries, which means finding a way to use Group I in the Australian market.

I don't know what the cost difference is between the Group II Delo based oils and the other Group I based oils in your market, but you should be able to run the Delo 2x the interval of those Group I based oils and still achieve better overall results. From that POV, Delo may be cost effective.

THanks for that information. In Melbourne, i see 2 facilites, Mobil and BP. When i see these large facilities with the white drums, i assume the plant is a refinery. I always thought Mobil and Shell were the main suppliers in Australia. On the Singapore Subject, Pennzoil use Shell to blend some of their products there. So majority of our oils would be GRoup 1. Most of our oils are SM now, could they do it with that alone ? Even the cheap oils are passing this now with SL as a minimum. Australia must be the Group 1 dumping ground. Even imported oil from the USA (Pennzoil Street Machine 20W50 has been confirmed twice to me from them that its Group 1 blended and manufactured in the USA). Nice US flag on the bottle as well.

I used Havoline for better than 20 years because it was inexpencive and readily available and more often than not it was on sale AND had a rebate to boot. Never had a bad issue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back