Hyphenated Last Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Matt_S
I've heard that in India, it's commonplace for a child to take a combination of the two parents' names that's worked into a new third name (which explains why Indian names can be as long as they sometimes are).

In Japan, a man will often take the wife's last name, if she has no brothers who will carry on her last name.

Mama Bear put me on notice when we married ...

She put a hyphen AFTER her name so it would be easier to divorce me.

Mama-Bear- ...
shocked2.gif

I've always considered married people calling each other any version of "mother" and "father" to be a very, very strange habit. It's like at 'The Waltons' or something. As for bringing bears into it...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
these are times when I miss Europe

Which part of Europe? A lot of places in Europe are actually less tolerant about this issue than the US.

should've been western Europe I guess; or at least Germany and netherlands :)

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Take off, hoser.

Never stir up a hoser, 'cause he will keep hosing you!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
these are times when I miss Europe

Which part of Europe? A lot of places in Europe are actually less tolerant about this issue than the US.

should've been western Europe I guess; or at least Germany and netherlands :)

I only know that the German Federal court decided in the '90s that Germans henceforth must not have a double last name. Each can either keep their own last name, or they both can choose the last name of the spouse as their "marriage name." Children must accept the last name of the parents. If both parents kept their respective last names, the child may choose one of those last names. It is not legal that they anybody uses a double last name.

There used to be, and there still are people and couples with double last names, but as Steve S would say, "They will die sooner or later."
grin2.gif

PS: t-bird might know Herr Dr. Müller-Lüdenscheid, bickering with Dr. Klöbner in Loriot's classic cartoon 'Two Men in the Tub.' Don't bother unless you understand German.

I have a friend that took his WIFE'S surname when they got married. His Dad flipped out big time when he joined the military, so he had no use for his dad's last name anymore. His Dad basically had disowned him over the move, and cut all ties with him.

I can understand it with women... but guys that have hypenated last names, I can definitely do without. Make up your d@mn mind, will you please?

Originally Posted By: sprintman
You idiot we don't have any say on what our surname is. Should I change it just because a goose like you can't handle it?

Can someone translate this for me? It's a version of english that I don't understand...
43.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Mama Bear put me on notice when we married ...

She put a hyphen AFTER her name so it would be easier to divorce me.

As in "tear on dotted line"?
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back