An In-Depth Look at NAPA's Adaptive One Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a set of NAPA's Adaptive One brake pads for my Saturn. The inner and outer pads use a different material. Here's the website with more information about the pads:

http://www.adaptive-1.com/

Without further delay, here are some pictures of the pads and its packaging:

Box:

IMG_1188.jpg

Back of the Box:

IMG_1190.jpg

Made in China!
shocked2.gif

IMG_1189.jpg

The Contents:

IMG_1192.jpg

Rubber coated hardware:

IMG_1201.jpg

Inner pad, shims are rubber-coated. Notice the red dot that identifies the pad as the outer one:

InnerPadShim.jpg

Inner pad edge codes. FF rated:

InnerPadDOTCodes.jpg

Picture of the inner pad's friction material:

InnerPadFrictionMaterial.jpg

Outer pad, shims are rubber-coated. Notice the blue dot that identifies the pad as the outer one:

OuterPadShim.jpg

Outer pad edge codes. Only FE rated?
smirk2.gif
:

OuterPadDOTCodes.jpg

Picture of the outer pad's friction material. Less white stuff? :

OuterPadFrictionMaterial.jpg

Nice Pictures
grin2.gif
Just me but on the first set of pads, the material looks really rough and gritty. Probably of no concern, but they look well made. I like how the shims are rubber coated to reduce noise, etc. Let us know how they work once you bed them in. Just curious, what did the set cost?

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Nice Pictures
grin2.gif
Just me but on the first set of pads, the material looks really rough and gritty. Probably of no concern, but they look well made. I like how the shims are rubber coated to reduce noise, etc. Let us know how they work once you bed them in. Just curious, what did the set cost?

$51 out-the-door after an AAA discount.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Looks like that first set is missing a couple of chunks. Chinese quality control?

Not chunks. That's just the top layer. They must've been scratched. I'm not concerned as that layer would wear off immediately after the pads are installed anyway.

Not overly expensive... Hope they work out well for you. Please give us an update once you get them installed and have some driving time with them!

The NUCAP NRS SAFE Mechanical Friction Attachment System has been heavily advertised in the engineering journals. I recommend pads with this feature for anybody that drives in the Rust Belt or maritime provinces, where delamination at the bond from corrosion is a problem.

Alright, I put these on a few weeks ago with a new set of Centric Premium rotors.

I did 50 stops from 30 mph with a few minutes of cool down in between each stop.

For the first 100 miles, there was very little stopping power. I mean, it felt like you were towing a trailer and the brakes where overwhelmed.

Right now, I have about 400 miles on the pads, and the braking performance has improved significantly. It's about the same as the AutoZone pads, but without the noise.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I did 50 stops from 30 mph with a few minutes of cool down in between each stop.

Nice way of spending a Sunday.
LOL.gif

Quote:
For the first 100 miles, there was very little stopping power. I mean, it felt like you were towing a trailer and the brakes where overwhelmed.

Sounds dangerous! As you know I follow the ATE instructions: seat the pads by pushing the brake pedal hard repeatedly with the car standing. Then drive and brake normally while avoiding (if possible!) very hard stops for the first 100 miles or so. It's always worked for me!

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
Any updates on how these are doing?

Since it's only six months later, I presume that Mr Wan is still "braking" them in.

are oh tee ef el

Any updates on how these are doing?

Light squeak in reverse and only in reverse. They also leave a strange looking imprint on the rotor, but so do a lot of the newer pads. Braking performance seems ok though, but they're on the rear.
21.gif

Will I buy them again? Probably, just so that I can have matching friction on both axles.

Originally Posted By: thinshavings
"made in china"........they can keep 'em

+1 on that. I used to go to NAPA and buy their parts. Usually a few more $. A lot of China stuff now. So why bother?

16,000 miles on them and they haven't worn out yet.

The rotor surface finally looks normal though. It's strange how it took this long.

Anybody else try these yet?

I've got a set on the Xterra but they probably only have 500 miles on them so far (if that.) I'm happy with them so far.
No noise and they stop the same as the stockers.

Originally Posted By: Canawler
Anybody else try these yet?

I've got a set on the Xterra but they probably only have 500 miles on them so far (if that.) I'm happy with them so far.
No noise and they stop the same as the stockers.

Dust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back