Changing auto transmission fluid in a '97 Civic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuk

My mother has a 1997 Honda Civic, and it needs to have the tranny fluid and filter changed. I want to do the work for her, but I don't want to buy a Civic shop manual just for this job, as it unlikely the manual will ever be used again. I've changed auto-transmission fluid many times before, on several different cars, Is there anything special I need to know about this job, on this car?

If it's anything like my Integra, which I'm pretty sure it is, there should be a service bolt right behind the passenger front tire. You will need to replace the crush washer on the bolt. It's really easy to do. You just simply refill however much comes out (in my Integra it's usually 2.5-2.7 quarts) through the dipstick using a long funnel/tube. The Civic should be very similar to my Integra in terms of service. If it's different, I apologize and someone else can set me straight
LOL.gif
But I think most Honda AT's are the same in terms of service. I personally prefer using Amsoil's ATF but Honda Z-1 should work just fine as well.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why not do a cooling line flush yourself, if you can find the cooling lines you can do it. You will get all the ATF out and will not take much more time.

Because the drain bolt is much easier to do than the cooler line on Honda/Acura.

It should have a bolt that is 3/8" or 1/2" (forgot which one) square ratchet head. Just slip in the ratchet and break it open, drain out about 3 qts, and refill from the dip stick hole. Easier than oil change.

Filter is not replaceable unless you do a rebuild.

remember to clean the magnetic drain bolt
wink.gif

done it on all my honda's very easy to do, according to honda/acura you gotta drain then fill, go for a quick run, drain and then fill, go for a quick run and then drain and fill again..

Getting to the coolant lines on the honda's aren't as easy as draining and refilling.

Here is a released tsb from acura

Last edited:
Quote:

Poster:pandaBear
Because the drain bolt is much easier to do than the cooler line on Honda/Acura.

It should have a bolt that is 3/8" or 1/2" (forgot which one) square ratchet head. Just slip in the ratchet and break it open, drain out about 3 qts, and refill from the dip stick hole. Easier than oil change.

Filter is not replaceable unless you do a rebuild.

Poster: Mau
remember to clean the magnetic drain bolt

done it on all my honda's very easy to do, according to honda/acura you gotta drain then fill, go for a quick run, drain and then fill, go for a quick run and then drain and fill again..

Getting to the coolant lines on the honda's aren't as easy as draining and refilling.

Here is a released tsb from acura

EXCELLENT!!!
thumbsup2.gif
Exactly the info I wanted. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back