Should I use a fuel system cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm approaching 25k miles in my Civic and was wondering whether I should run some kind of fuel system cleaner (thinking the Redline or Amsoil ones, or perhaps even just Techron). I usually fill it up at local Shell and Chevron stations, and whenever I've been on longer trips I've filled up at other top-tier stations.

The car's not running rough or having any problems. Is it a smart idea to pre-emptively run an injector cleaner at this stage in the car's life or just a waste of money?

The Red Line and Amsoil products are very good. For an off the shelf product, Gumout REGANE is hard to beat. Pour in a bottle every 4 or 5K to keep things clean.

I went to Napa this morning hoping to find some Regane, and on the off chance hoping they'd have the Amsoil or Redline cleaners since they carry Amsoil oil now, and they've had Redline (gear lube at least) for a while. Struck out on all three, surprisingly, and ended up just getting some Techron Concentrate Plus on sale.

I've since found out that the local Kragen (where I usually don't go) may have SI-1

I've got four questions:

1) What's the difference between the "concentrate plus" and the "pro-gard"?

2) The bottle says to add it to a nearly empty tank before fill. Does it really make a difference or is it OK to add it at half tank just before filling up? I'm going on a trip this weekend and was going to get gas on the way out of town but if this makes a difference, I'll wait and run it down more.

3) Is the techron CP just as good as the SI-1/Regane or should I try to find one of the other two instead?

EDIT: And one more:
4) I see reference via searching the forum to using techron or SI-1 just before an oil change. What difference does it make? Does it really have to be just before an oil change? I'm only half way through my current OCI at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rationull
I'm approaching 25k miles in my Civic and was wondering whether I should run some kind of fuel system cleaner (thinking the Redline or Amsoil ones, or perhaps even just Techron). I usually fill it up at local Shell and Chevron stations, and whenever I've been on longer trips I've filled up at other top-tier stations.

The car's not running rough or having any problems. Is it a smart idea to pre-emptively run an injector cleaner at this stage in the car's life or just a waste of money?

rationull,

I use a fuel system cleaner everytime my truck and car is serviced. My 89' I'm just passing the 230K service now and as always run a big bottle of Techron through the system. I like clean pipes:)

Durango

Well, I went by Kragen after work and sure enough they have Regane and SI-1. Didn't buy any since I already bought the techron but I'll know where to go if I want to try something different next time.

I'm still wondering if I really need to wait until the tank's almost empty for best results. I guess I will unless anyone tells me otherwise.

rationull,

Over here in Los Angeles we don't have Kragen anymore in the mid Wilshire area. I consider the Regain to be just or better than SL1.

Regarding your other question I would add the Techron regardless if my tanks nearly empty or not. Nothings perfect in the real world. They just want you to add it at that time cuz when you fill your buggy up the chemical will distrbute throughout the tank better. Any other method will distribute sooner or later.
Get the big bottle as more is better than the smaller.

Durango

Thanks for the info, Durango. No Kragen down there anymore, huh? Did they close or get sold/renamed? I lived in the LA area for a long time (Culver City) and a Kragen was the closest place to my house so I went there fairly often. I vaguely remember it being named something else before Kragen but the name escapes me at the moment.

I guess I'll just add the stuff whenever I feel like filling up, then. I got the 15 oz one, don't know if there's a bigger one. Maybe I'll try the Regane next time.

Again thanks for the info. I'll be in your city in about 3 hours :)

rationull,

You and I use to be neighbors once a pond a time dude :) I'm an old West L.A. College student from the late 70's. The only places left in our areas is PEP BOYS and Auto Zone. Kragen was one of the first auto parts stores to come in after the riot in the hood. They finally pulled out cuz they couldn't compete with PEP BOYS as things calmed down a bit. Currently I don't believe Kragen is around in Culver City anymore.

Getting back to your fuel system I just added a big bottle of Techron to my 89' Camry after I got it back from Longo Toyota.
Techron is my standard after every service and will also consider Regain as my second cuz I can get these from both stores.

Not too change the subject I also saw for the first time at Auto Zone, Shells own version of Techron in two sizes called V-Power system cleaner. I wonder how this stuff works???

Anyway rationull you take care and let me know where you live now. So you moved away from CC/L.A.???

Durango

A bottle of cleaner once, or even twice a year is a good idea.
Like you found out, the Redline SI 1, Gumout REGANE, and Techron are similar and very good.
The differences in the Chevron Techron bottle is simply concentration. Get the most expensive one. It will be $2 more than the cheapest.

Originally Posted By: Durango
rationull,

You and I use to be neighbors once a pond a time dude :) I'm an old West L.A. College student from the late 70's. The only places left in our areas is PEP BOYS and Auto Zone. Kragen was one of the first auto parts stores to come in after the riot in the hood. They finally pulled out cuz they couldn't compete with PEP BOYS as things calmed down a bit. Currently I don't believe Kragen is around in Culver City anymore.

Durango

I was never a big fan of Pep Boys, and we don't have any of them up here that I know of. I think there's still a Kragen on Overland between Culver Blvd and Washington Blvd in Culver Center.

I grew up down there, but moved up to San Luis Obispo county for college and stayed after graduation. Less traffic up here :) I still go down to CC to visit my parents every once in a while.

rationull,

OH you live way up there! Must be nice and safe up their. Currently I live in the mid Wilsire now and when I lived down in the hoo it got pretty dangerous due to the riots.

PEP BOYS not dominates the entire area now and it appears Auto Zone has pulled out of the area. Theirs one closer to my new local so sometime I may go there instead of CC where the PEP BOYS now has a big store in Sepulveda Blvd. The Kragen store you mentioned I do know where that is in the shopping center. Now that you mentioned it I just might head there and scope it out a bit.

Anyway it was nice to get to know you. Talk to you soon regarding others oil issues and such. :)

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back