Good Sport Touring bikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Past Sunday I rode from Newport to Newburgh, NY to the new Orange County Choppers facility with 5 other guys. I was on my zx9r, and while I love the bike and will never get rid of it, after 365 miles round trip I was thinking maybe now is the time to start looking for a sport touring bike.
-My a$$ was killing me even with my Corbin seat, and my shoulders were sore.

Any suggestions on a sport tourer? At first glance I like the Yamaha FJR1300 (probably top of my list) and the Honda ST1300. Any comments or suggestions welcomed!

Thanks for your time

02zx9r, if your into Asian bikes ,how about a Honda ST13000,I'am Harley nut(or just a nut depends on whom you ask)but I would consider this bike if I was in the market for a new ride.

The new Kawasaki Concours 1400 is also in the same class as the FJ1300 and ST1300. All are great bikes.

The adventure tour category like the Suzuki VStrom, Triumph Tiger, Ducati Multistrada or BMW GS also make great sport touring choices.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the Concours last night and that is a posability as well.

Not really ever been into Harleys but 4 of the guys I rode with were on harleys (2 electra glide ultra classics, 1 older road king, and I believe a soft tail) and the last guy was on a vulcan. But they kind of grew on me.

The electra glides would be nice for some serious touring it looks like. The road king (was an older one) but it didnt seem that bad and I was looking at it more and more as we rode on. Previous to this ride I only really like the vrod, as a coworker has the 100th Anniversary Edition but I think he said only has like a 2 or 3 gallon tank, not too good for touring but I guess you do get to stop every so often and get off the bike to stretch the legs so...

The Honda has the biggest tank 7.7 gallon, Yamaha 6.6, Kawi 5.8.

I guess I need to just get out and sit on them and preferably test ride them, cause sitting on it and then getting it and finally riding it and seeing how poor it does on the highway at cruising speeds will kinda suck.

my buddy Rick is looking at the FJR and Concours right now as well.

what he found was that the Concours has a very high maintenance cost. (ie go price an oil change on both of them). i didn't believe him so i called. fjr is 1/3rd the cost. has to do with all the bodywork removal.
now granted, you may be able to do it all on your own just fine. but if a shop is taking that much more time, i'm sure you will be as well. fyi.

appreciate the info, was wondering about the oil changes. Think I read the fjr uses cartridge filter now, so body work would need to be removed.

Reading about the concours now, think older articles, lot of people were complaining about the heat from the motor but any ful fairing bike will do that, although I never notice it on my nine.

Still thinking the FJR is at the top of my list right now. But still looking!

Thanks for all the feedback

For sport touring I love my Buell XB12x, riding two up, dirt riding, and eating up the curves. Just wish I could get a rear tire to last past 5k. It gets 48-56 mpg and gets over 200 per tank. I came from a motocross background, so sportbikes weren't my forte' and this one fits me perfectly like a big supermotard. Here is a pic without the luggage set I just bought. 14k in 16 months.

IMG_3000.jpg

Personally I would pick the FJR over the Councours. It's been around for a few years and they've worked out the minor annoyances and and maintenance problems in the latest generation. If you're looking used, the prior generation had a problem with heat on the legs and sometimes a valve problem.

Do you guys actually take your bike to the dealer for oil changes?

i do my own changes.

Im liking the concours but still think the fjr is at the top of my list with the kawi a close second

I have a 1000 V-Strom and both brothers have ST1300's. Having ridden some on the ST1300's, it's clear the V-Strom is not in the same class as the ST's. Of course, it was never meant to be. Costs about $4 or 5,000 less, too.

The 'Strom is designed for 'Adventure Touring' anywhere - if that includes an interesting looking dirt road through the mountains, so be it, although I've never been that crazy about riding anything with street tires on loose dirt. I doubt I'd go too far afield on an ST. I like my 'Strom, primarily because of the ergonomics (the bar/seat/pegs are nice and spread out - past 50, the ol' knees don't like being all scrunched up in those racy positions most new bikes adopt!!) required by my 6'1"/220# blob. It wouldn't be my first choice for a cross-country trip, although a bunch of guys/gals have done it. It's definitely different looking, so you don't have to worry about having one just like everyone else does. It has that nice V-Twin rumble (2 Bros cans) and torque, and the engine's about indestructable. There are some engine mapping issues (the dreaded 3,500RPM stumble which affects many, according to the forums, although I have seen only the most minimal effects) on some. The little fairing/windshield offers a surprising amount of protection from the elements, and the grip/lever covers are really neat.

The ST's are more plush, oriented toward the 'Sport Touring' market (we have just become SO specialized nowadays, haven't we?) for the rider who wants 'almost GoldWing' luxury with more sporty performance. The ST's have a power operated windshield height adjustment on them, for Pete's sake.
shocked2.gif
Being a Honda, fit/finish/reliability are about perfect, per usual. Straight-line performance-wise, the ST will eat the 'Strom for lunch, although that's become much less of an issue as I've gotten older.
smirk2.gif
Just wanna cruise along and enjoy the scenery, thanks all the same..
cool.gif

Supposedly, the 'Strom should be more adept at handling the twisties, but we just went on a pretty wild back-road ride on Sunday, and my brother Stan had zero problems dealing with the twisties and keeping up with my 'Strom on his ST; the last part of the trip I followed him, and had to work a bit, actually. Because the 'Strom's so high, you always KNOW the CG is way up there; the ST's are much lower and quite nimble for such a big bike. Nephew Nate was along on his 690 KTM Super-something or other - now THAT is a nimble machine, but, not germain to this discussion.

So, which of those two to buy:
If cost is no object, and most of your time will be spent on the main highways/interstates - ST1300.
Anything else - 'Strom.

Appreciate it rwest!

Most of my time would be on highways and backroads. Im only 35 and like i said, love my zx9r and will not get rid of it, I do want something that is more comfy and geared towards touring so Im in the market. Have never really looked at the vstroms, but they do look pretty radical and as you say, is different. I guess I will have to just look around and hopefully get to test ride instead of just sit on them, who knows maybe I wont like the FJR as much when I possibly get to ride it.

I road my '93 ZX-11D solo from NJ to OR: I might have been more comfortable on the Valkyrie, certainly would be more comfortable for a passenger. Bigger and more room than your Ninja '9.

The new Concours is an absolute rocketship and can't even be mentioned in the company of any HD: totally different applications.

Cheers!

The adventure tour category has a wide range. The KTM Adventure is very dirt oriented. The BMW GS and VStrom are designed for some amount of mixed dirt / street.

But the current Triumph Tiger and Ducati Multistrada are purely designed for the street. The upright position is comfortable, have decent wind protection, long travel suspension great for the [censored] pavement we have here in the northeast, and both have hard luggage either standard or as options.

If you are keeping the ZX9, then one of these might be a good compliment to it.

One more thing. Check out sport-touring.net for plenty of great ST stuff. Many of the members can be primadonnas but it's a great resource.

will check it out, I have been reading a lot of the fjr forums and what not trying to get ideas and some of the complaints people may have with the certain bikes.

Gonna find the dealerships around here this weekend and start looking/pricing.

Thanks again for all the info.

I still think since you have a zx-9 and a CRF, you should mix the two together. Meaning, something a like a V-strom, so when the road ends your adventure keeps going. Comfortable road carving for a couple hundred miles and capable enough to run down some dirt roads. Your choice.

looking at selling the crf, and using that money along with **possibly** trading in my zx9r for a 2007 FJR. Will take time to compare different ones.

As it stands now, pretty certain it will be the FJR, with the kawi second. But the vstrom could be an option. Would probably not be doing much dirt riding though so not sure still.

Thanks for the idea.

The dirt bug will bite you later on after selling the CRF and getting another total streetbike. I'm actually looking at getting a KTM 950 super enduro for more long distance dirt riding and keeping my DRZ400sm that I just put 21/18 rims on it for more extreme dirt.

probably right. both my bikes have been long paid for, so i would like to hold on to them. Only problem is there isnt too many places to ride a dirtbike in RI. We are the only state without an offroad vehicle park. A local wrench here has been trying for years to get some land to set up a park, he has like $400K in grants and what not but state keeps turning him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back