Regane or Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is probably no best but, depends on your engine, type of deposits and how messed up your fuel system is. My own experience from one case is a friends worn Volvo repeatedly failing the Illinois State smog inspection. We added a bottle of Techron SYSTEM cleaner in 1/2 tank of fuel and took it out on the highway for a 30 mile 80 mph run. Passed the smog test easily. I personally use Techron System cleaner just before I change the oil (6000 Mile OCI) and never have noticed any difference but, then I maintain my vehicles and don't use off brand fuel. BMW, together with Chevron oil Co. developed the additive to keep the BMW intake valves and combustion chambers clean. BMW had a problem with their camshaft overlap that encouraged carbon buildup on the intake valves and pistons). Chevron continues to use that additive in their fuel. I really don't know if the new-comer Regane is better or equal or less effective but, I do know that Techron has a long history of excellence and I now continue to use it out of habit. Just my thoughts and experience. Maybe I will try Regane next time but, I don't know why at this point. Ed

I heard a rumor that the Techron concentrate may no longer contain Polyether Amine. This is 2nd hand information and I tend to doubt that it is true. Has anyone heard of a change being made to the Techron concentrate formula?

The rumor comes from BITOG. Some have noticed that PEA is no longer on the North America: Techron Concentrate Plus: United States 1625 MSDS. The chemical that took its place is obfuscated. Here on BITOG we like to know what we are buying. Weasel words are cause for concern particularly when companies can hold prices by reducing quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
BMW, together with Chevron oil Co. developed the additive to keep the BMW intake valves and combustion chambers clean. BMW had a problem with their camshaft overlap that encouraged carbon buildup on the intake valves and pistons).

I have one of those BMWs. They had to walnut-shell-blast the intake valves under warranty on many of those cars. Using non-detergent gasoline and MMO, my intake valves were very clean when I removed the intake for an unrelated reason.

Now I used 2oz MMO/1oz Redline SI-1 with every fill. The Redline has a good proportion of PEA, enough to keep my injectors clean at that dose, and is also advertised as a top-end lube.

Shell gasoline by itself, by the way, did not keep my injectors clean.

Hi,
Caltex-Chevron's Techron was developed in the early 1970s and was the original and most efficient valve head, seat and combustion chamber system cleaner

It was "worked on" by all of the major NA car makers as a key emission's system durability component. It was also endorsed by Porsche in the late 1970s

I was involved with its pilot durability testing programme carried out at GM's Test Facility in Michigan in 1975

I worked in a Technical Training role in Denmark for Caltex-Chevron for some years in the 1960s

I use it still

Doug, that being the case, do you have any idea why they have removed any references to polyether amine content from the MSDS? Can we be confident that it is the same product, or if it is different, that it is as good?

Hi,
glennc - Sorry I cannot help with any details but I'll see what I can find out

I purchased a large stock of the original "Techron Concentrate" that was phased out here in OZ about 5 years ago. The original formula was "sub let" to many other producers for a period of about 30 years as I recall

I use a bottle in a full tank about every 8kkms (5k miles) usually timimg it just prior to an OC. I have never seen the original formula "skew" a UOA Report

Hi,
pickled - Well now I expect about as much "cologne" stored as you have along with an anuual supply of Del 1 and M1 0W-40

Lubricants have risen sharply in price here but sales of the new semi synthetics have taken the place of the upper level synthetics I expect - at nearly $A100 for M1 0W-40 who are the buyers?

That high quality "cologne" does wonders for heating my workshop in the winter months :). Your cellared oil are premium and solid choices. I'm saddened that you folks have to pay so much for M1 in OZ. Heck for that pricing a lubricants black market should be booming!! A shipping container is pretty cheap these days. There are enough intelligent and connected people on this site we should probably figure out how to hook you gentlemen up with a taste of the good life (i.e. low priced lubricants and fuel treatments).

A lot of folks do use these product the tank before an oil change is due. It's kind of a "best practice" with fuel additive usage (the non-continuous use kind). The worry is that the product might disturb the oil chemistry or viscosity and/or cause loading of the oil with nasties. If you do UOA's some worry that the fuel additive may cause the results to be off and therefor throw off their existing trending. You could probably use the product as directed with no-ill effects, but we are all pretty conservative on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back