Mixing Techron with LUCL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houdy BITOGERS, i'm a new guy, been reading a lot before I registered and just wanted to say this site is awesome
thumbsup2.gif

Anyways, I'd like to ask the chemists out there if its a bad move to mix a bottle of techron with a quart of Lucas UCL. I did take two organic chemistry courses last year, but I forgot EVERYTHING.
LOL.gif
(well I still remember grignard reagents, lol)

Why mix chemistry esp. PEA such as Techron and Those so-called UCL?

In other words: what are you trying to achieve here?

Welcome to BITOG. I am not a senior member on this site, but enjoy the information and banter it provides as well. It sounds as though you are looking to use a mix of Lucas UCL and Techron concentrate to treat each tank of gas. Some refer to this as the continuous treat method. I am not a chemist either, so I am not sure of the implications of mixing these two products.

May I recommend using Redline SI-1 instead. It contains a great concentration of Polyether Amine (PEA), which is one of Techron's main ingredients, along with a synthetic UCL. I have found that SI-1 quiets my engine down much better than the Lucas UCL did, and the PEA is an added benefit. The recommended continuous treat rate for SI-1 is 1/3 or 1/6 ounce per gallon of gasoline. A 15 ounce bottle of SI-1 will treat about 5 tanks of gasoline in my 2007 Civic LX.

Last edited:
Yeah, i'm looking to keep a continuous treatment of both cleaner and lubricant. Check out my other thread about Lucas UCL.

I'd love to try Redlie's product, but seeing as how Lucas leaves me breathless, I'll need some real convincing to switch to Sl-1. I hear from many users that Lucas quiets their car more than Sl-1. As they say, your mileage may vary. For now, I still have 3-4 of a quart of Lucas, so I'll finish that up before thinking about Sl-1.

In that case, I would continue to treat each tank with Lucas UCL, but treat the tank of gas before each oil change with the Techron concentrate. This will give you the best of both worlds so to speak.

Try the SI-1 in place of Techron before one of your oil changes to see if you like it. I used Lucas UCL for about one year, and liked the results, but found that SI-1 seemed to quiet down my engine better.

I also know that the PEA in SI-1 will provide excellent cleaning, since I add it to every tank, no matter how little detergent additive is present in the gasoline that I buy.

Some gas additives don't mix with each other well which makes adding controlled amounts difficult. They all mix in the gasoline.
Dribbling Regane or Techron Concentrate in with LUCL is no different than LUCL in Chevron gasoline or SI-1.

Originally Posted By: svaric2

Anyways, I'd like to ask the chemists out there if its a bad move to mix a bottle of techron with a quart of Lucas UCL. I did take two organic chemistry courses last year, but I forgot EVERYTHING.
LOL.gif
(well I still remember grignard reagents, lol)

Chevron gasoline has techron, and if you pour a bottle of UCL in the tank, it's basically the same thing. I mixed techron with 2-cycle oil for use in my 4 cycle motorcycle engine. after 97,000 miles you would not believe how clean the carbs and intake runners were. I used about 2 onces per 5 gallons of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back