Is 5w-30 in 2001 Ford Taurus ok, or must we use 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The subject is a 2001 Ford Taurus, 12v OHV Vulcan v-6 engine. Temps down to about 0f a few nights per year, up in the upper 90's at the hottest times. An even mix of city and highway driving, no leaks.

We purchased the vehicle at 55k (fleet vehicle). It now has 67k miles and running with no problems. Oil filler cap specs 5w-20, but considering running 5w-30 as I just think it's a little too thin.

Was considering Pennz dino 5w-30 if I go that route or Pennz dino 5w-20 if I don't. 3k OCI.

Would you move to 5w-30 or stay where I'm at?

thanks for any replies
smile.gif

Ford's use of w20 oil was not because of protection, but was used to meet EPA fuel economy requirements.

5w30 will be fine and you actually will b doing your engine a favor.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
Ford's use of w20 oil was not because of protection, but was used to meet EPA fuel economy requirements.

5w30 will be fine and you actually will b doing your engine a favor.

I'm thinking so too, it gets 26mpg highway so it's not hurting fuel-wise. Simply wince when it starts up and that engine does run hot in the summer months

quote:

Originally posted by Mamala Bay:
Might want to consider the Mobil Clean 5000 5wt-30. It's a thin 30wt and all Grp3.

Do you think there would be too much difference between the Mobil and the pennz? I ask because I have a 5qt of the pennz in the garage that I need to use.. I'm not against buying the other or anything like that..

The Pennzoil is quality oil. I see no problem with the 5w-30. The MC 5w-20 which Ford recommends is a syth/blend which is closer to a 30wt. The 5w-30 should be no problem.

I've been running Motorcraft 5w20 in my 99 Taurus 3.0 Vulcan engine for 2 years now. No problems. One thing to keep in mind is that most 5w30 dino oils shear to a 20 weight anyway. So if it makes you feel better to see "5w30" on the label, then go ahead. You're still getting a 20 weight.

quote:

Originally posted by mh2800:
I'm thinking so too, it gets 26mpg highway so it's not hurting fuel-wise. Simply wince when it starts up and that engine does run hot in the summer months

How do you know your oil is running hot? Do you have an oil temp gauge? You're hot and sweaty, so your oil must be hot too? Or are you referring to your coolant temps? I'm not attacking you but it's not scientific to draw that conclusion without valid data.

Coolant temp, once up to operating temps should stay the same, summer or winter. If you are noticing your coolant temp creep up on a 95 F summer day in bumper to bumper traffic. Yeah, your radiator is not getting adequate air flow to transfer the heat, but that doesn't mean your oil is getting too hot. Sustained high RPMs is what causes oil to soar.

I would stick with xW-20 but xW-30 isn't going ruin your engine.

I've had 3 Rangers with that motor, mostly using 5w30. The 3.0 is tough as nails so it doesn't really matter which of those grades you run. 5w30 all year is fine, 10w30 is also good at warmer temps.

Temperatures are not the same in all parts of the engine. The engine does run hotter in the summer, jusdging by the 'dipstick test', where the dipstick is much hotter, uncomfortably so on some days, in the summer than in the winter. The cooling system obviously attempts to maintain a desired operating temperature in all conditions, but when the cooling fan on the Taurus kicks in when you're stuck in stop and go traffic, it's 100 deg F out and the coolent temp starts edging up, you might be getting close to the limit of the cooling system and turning on the heater will help.

As I recall the service bulletin on using 20 weight oil also states that 20 weight is being used for fuel economy reasons, and that 30 weight is also approved. I use a blend of 40% Mobil 1 T&S 5W-40 and Mobil 10W-30 dino in our Taurii, we have a 93 with 181k and a 99 with almost 80k miles, and both run fine.

I had a 1991 Taurus with the Vulcan 3.0L engine and at that time it was spec'd to run on 10W-30. Used it year round and it ran fine, even in the winter. Other than updated electronics on the engine I don't think much has changed. It's an old style push rod engine that is not as sensitive to thicker oils at start-up. But oils have come a long way since 1991. The new Motorcraft 5W-30 is labeled as a synthetic blend now, like the Motorcraft 5W-20 has been. It's probably more shear stable than a non blended 5W-30. Mamala Bay mentioned the new Mobil Clean 5000, which as he said is all Group III. It should be shear resistant also. But in all honesty with 3,000 mi OCI's just about any good brand 5W-30 oil will be fine. If you're still concerned about the oil shearing in the warm weather then use the 5W-30 in the cold temps and 10W-30 in the warmer temps. That should be fairly easy to do since you are changing the oil at 3,000 mile OCI's. If it'll give you peace of mind
grin.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
And the 5W-20 thins out to a 10 weight or less.

Please show me PROOF of that. I haven't seen that in any of the UOA's posted. You must know something I don't know
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

I ran a couple of fills of 5w-20 in my 04’ F150 then I changed to Pennzoil 10w-30 (dino) on my last change. We have seen some cold weather but nothing colder than low 30’s since I changed on 12/31/04. No problems so far but only have 800 miles on oil. Oil still looks new, no noticeable change in mileage, truck runs good, smooth and strong. This is the 5.4L.
That said 10w-30 is only good down to zero degrees, sooooo In your case I might use 5w-30 in the cold months and go 10w-30 in warmer months.
My .02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back