5w20 castrol gtx vs. 5w20 motorcraft semi blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I'm all for the Motorcraft 5W20 syn blend. Works out really well on my fit as well as a few other friends' Hondas which call for 5W20.

p.s. if your engine calls for 5W20 and also given the mileage you have on it, I would do an AutoRx flush first

Q.

Whichever is least expensive. Or if the price difference is insignificant, then the one with the bottle shape that is easier to pour, or the one that inspires you with confidence.

In reality as long as they both meet the same specification requirements (and I believe they are identical in that regard)the difference between brands is insignificant.

The semi-synthetic labeling is intended to make you think that the Motorcraft oil is superior to those name brand conventional oils which do not make any claim to being semi-synthetic. As such, it is simply a misleading bit of marketing.

Both the Motorcraft and GTX are excellent oils and it would be very hard to prove the superiority of one over the other without release of the detailed results of the full battery of tests each went through to get SM certification. Unfortunately, all we mortals get to see is pass/fail .... and never how much margin an oil passed the various sequences by. Everything else is marketing hype, and the motor oil industry is chock full of hype and misdirection.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
The semi-synthetic labeling is intended to make you think that the Motorcraft oil is superior to those name brand conventional oils which do not make any claim to being semi-synthetic. As such, it is simply a misleading bit of marketing.

And yet, the Motorcraft is the only oil I've seen that actually mentioned that it's hydrocracked right there on the label. I don't think I've ever seen any other synthetic or synblend that admitted that's what it was.

Both the Motorcraft and GTX are excellent oils and it would be very hard to prove the superiority of one over the other without release of the detailed results of the full battery of tests each went through to get SM certification. Unfortunately, all we mortals get to see is pass/fail .... and never how much margin an oil passed the various sequences by. Everything else is marketing hype, and the motor oil industry is chock full of hype and misdirection.

Uh, no it's eazy to prove one oil's superiority over another.. You pour oil #1, note the gas mileage and do the UOA and then do an Auto-Rx (optional)and do the same for oil #2 and then make your conclusions.however I do agree with you on one aspect..both oils are good oils but the winner will make 1 great and another good, get it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6

Uh, no it's eazy to prove one oil's superiority over another.. You pour oil #1, note the gas mileage and do the UOA and then do an Auto-Rx (optional)and do the same for oil #2 and then make your conclusions.however I do agree with you on one aspect..both oils are good oils but the winner will make 1 great and another good, get it?

No, it isn't that "easy". You would need to rigorously control all of the other variables like driving conditions, environmental conditions, fuel quality and so on for your proposed "test sequence" to have any validity. Then, you would have to repeat it multiple times to see how much variation still exists. If you did your proposed test sequence three times in a row while using the same motor oil each time you would still get different results each time thanks to variables beyond the choice of motor oil.

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6

No, it isn't that "easy". You would need to rigorously control all of the other variables like driving conditions, environmental conditions, fuel quality and so on for your proposed "test sequence" to have any validity. Then, you would have to repeat it multiple times to see how much variation still exists. If you did your proposed test sequence three times in a row while using the same motor oil each time you would still get different results each time thanks to variables beyond the choice of motor oil.

Yeah, well I, for one have been partying-on like garth ever since switching to this oil, the memories are all you need...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back