Why no M1 High mileage 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

I am down to only 1 vehicle running M1. XOM's constantly changing product line has annoyed me for the last time. Like how many 15-50s have they made over the last few years? I just run Rotella in all 5 bikes now. Anyway my 01 Ford 4.0 SOHC really seems to like the 5-30 M1 and it's pushing 110K miles and I want to switch to HM oil. But this truck is my daily driver and is parked outside and it gets down to near 0 in the winter so cold starts are an issue for sure and I'm thinking that I should run no more than a 5-xx HM oil. OK to run M1 10-30 HM? or what?

Last edited:
M1 HM 10w30 pour point is -54degC. I put some M1 HM 10w30 in my deep freezer for about a week - stuff still shook around in the bottle as if it wasn't even cold - synthetics are incredible.

As long as your Ford is not burning oil all of a sudden, I would stick with what you are using now. I have a GMC that has 147,000 miles on it and I still use the same weight 5w 30 Amsoil that I have always used. It hasn't increased consumption, so I still use it. I think " High Mileage" is just a marketing gimmick. Years ago 100,000 miles was "high" nowadays thats nothing. Just my 2 cents.

My experience is that the HM's are not a marketing gimmick - but as Shovel Head said, you probably don't need it. If there's marketing gimmickery, it's in the 75k mile statement - the modern engine probably has a use for HMs at 200k and beyond (and sometimes not even then).

I don't know about all HM oils but Mobil 1 HM and Valvoline Maxlife HM are actually heavy duty oils with some extra seal conditioners. If you look at the Mobil 1 10W-30 and the Mobil 1 10W-30 HM, there is a great difference. Mobil 1 has a 40C cSt of 62.0, 100C cSt of 10.0, a HTHS of 3.14, and a ZDDP level of 800.
Mobil 1 10W-30 HM has a 40C cSt of 78.2, 100C cSt of 11.79, a HTHS of 3.66, and a ZDDP level of 1000. The HM also has elevated moly, boron, and calcium.

Mobil 1 and Valvoline both say it is perfectly safe to use their HM oils in even new engines. I think the HM may be marketing in that it provides a heavy duty PCMO in the 5W-30, 10W-30, and 10W-40 grades without being a diesel oil.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I don't know about all HM oils but Mobil 1 HM and Valvoline Maxlife HM are actually heavy duty oils with some extra seal conditioners. If you look at the Mobil 1 10W-30 and the Mobil 1 10W-30 HM, there is a great difference. Mobil 1 has a 40C cSt of 62.0, 100C cSt of 10.0, a HTHS of 3.14, and a ZDDP level of 800.
Mobil 1 10W-30 HM has a 40C cSt of 78.2, 100C cSt of 11.79, a HTHS of 3.66, and a ZDDP level of 1000. The HM also has elevated moly, boron, and calcium.

Mobil 1 and Valvoline both say it is perfectly safe to use their HM oils in even new engines. I think the HM may be marketing in that it provides a heavy duty PCMO in the 5W-30, 10W-30, and 10W-40 grades without being a diesel oil.

quite a difference----so if I am reading it right, what it is saying is that HM is at the higher end of the viscosity range for especially at the lower temps. Will the 0 degree starts be too cold for the 10W HM since it is that much thicker? If it's a problem, I will just stay with the 5-30 or go to the 0-30 for the winter. The truck gets it's best mileage and is quiter and doesn't use any oil with M1 5-30--that's why I'm hesitant to switch to another brand.

Originally Posted By: JDD
Will the 0 degree starts be too cold for the 10W HM since it is that much thicker?

No problem for the M1 HM. I don't think you're looking at the numbers correctly. The numbers above show you the visc. at 40degC and 100degC. 40degC is 104degF (ie, ambient temps on a hot day), 100degC is equivalent to 212degF (high operating temp for an engine).

These visc. numbers do not give any picture at all as to how the oil performs at sub-zero temps. And trying to get a fix on how an oil will perform at (eg) 0degC is crafty for reasons that would take a whole lot of explaining - suffice it say, that a 10wXX full synthetic like M1 HM 10w30 is going to performly brilliantly on your coldest days there in W.V.

New to forum. Hi all! Driving 2000 Avalon XLS V6 w/108K miles. All oil changes performed by Totota dealer, standard petroleum oil, 3000 to 5000 intervals, mostly favoring 3K never over 5K. Atlanta, GA area. Average mix of rural/city driving. Last oil change switched to Mobil1 5w-30. My wife and I both swear that it seems like it runs better, smoother, quieter. We love or Avalon and hope it lasts another 100K. Mellowed driving habits, more interested in,safety and MPG now than 0to60. O.K. enough of boring background. Had planned on switching to Mobil1 Clean High Mileage formulation primarily for the seal additives, although no current oil leaks. Very clean engine, no drippings. Went to every local supplier I could think of with no success. Settled on Mobil1 5w-30. Question! Is the benefits worth my finding a local supplier for the HW, or having to order it on-line, or are the seal additives overrated. I realize that even petroleum oils would probably be just fine for our requirements with 3k-4K oil changes. And we only plan on extending the interval to 5K. with whichever full synthetic we go with. I was even considering 0w-??. Would appreciate any guidance.
Thanking all who may repy in advance.

Dave & Joan

Last edited:
No reason in your situation to go to any HM.

If I were sticking with M1, I'd go to M1 10w30 - folks around here who watch these things report it shows consistently lower wear numbers than M1 5w30. But your engine will likely last "forever" on either one.

At 5k OCI, another excellent synth choice is Pennzoil Platinum - excellent reputation on BITOG.

In Georgia, any of the above are top notch choices. If you have access to a 0w30 in either the M1 or PP, I would choose it. It has nothing to do with temperature issues - it's just that the 0wXX oils are technically more robust than their 5w and 10w counterparts. To acheive the "0w" rating, companies have to play their trump cards in base stock and additives – ie, you'll get the best ingredients w/ the 0w.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
M1 HM 10w30 pour point is -54degC. I put some M1 HM 10w30 in my deep freezer for about a week - stuff still shook around in the bottle as if it wasn't even cold - synthetics are incredible.

So I lied. It's been a while since I did that little experiment w/ the freezer - perhaps I forgot how the oil sounded swishing in the quart bottle. I just repeated that little test - yesterday I put Sch. 7000 5w30, PP 5w20 and M1 HM 10w30 (yes, I have a few stray quarts of this and that laying around) - been in the deep freeze for about 30 hours (not sure the temp) - Sch and PP both had the consistency of room temp syrup - very good flow but couldn't exactly call it thin - meanwhile the M1 HM 10w30 had the consistency of honey - flowing but not in any big hurry.

Sorry for the mis-info, and I wish I knew the temp in the freezer.

If I lived where brutal winters takes place, I'm dropping 5w or 0w in.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Mobil 1 HM and Valvoline Maxlife HM are actually heavy duty oils with some extra seal conditioners.I think the HM may be marketing in that it provides a heavy duty PCMO in the 5W-30, 10W-30, and 10W-40 grades without being a diesel oil.

Heavy duty 10w-30 AND 5w-30. This is HUGE. A product that fills the gap between pcmo and hdeo. It's the lost and now found compromise between performance and the energy conserving stamp.

Originally Posted By: dwreed3rd
Thank you! I appreciate you advice and will look for a 0w-30 in M1 or PP.
Thanks again!
Dave

Good Choice, best wishes finding PP in anything 0W, its nowhere to be found around here.

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back