Good additives for easing the pain of E10 . . .?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short my Toyota with a carburetor left me stranded yesterday.
frown.gif
The sight window in the carburetor is completely dry. Could be a float level issue? Could be year of gunk and varnish in the fuel system being loosened up by the ethanol clogging the fuel system or lines?

Truck was running pretty well on 2 full tanks of 100% gas [only one local station carries it at over a $0.40 premium] then I thought the truck could handle a half a tank of E10. Could be a coincidence - maybe not?

I posted a related thread awhile back.

So . . . what products are good for keeping ethanol evenly mixed in the fuel?

For reference here is the link to my other post:

E10 Ethanol and a Toyota 22r with a carburetor . ?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1179654#Post1179654

Last edited:
Note to original poster:

Here up north in Canada, most of us been using E10 for more than a decade or so, and never experience any issues with it.

I think your associations of your carb problem to E10 is weak at best.

Q.

E10 is a little harsh on the carbs.

You should use(i have with great results) Marvel Mystery Oil.

It was used in the early carbs to keep them clean and lubed.

pour 4 oz in gas per 10 gallons of gas.
It will keep your whole fuel system clean and lubed, and it will act as a upper cylnder cleaner.

The army used it in there jeeps and tanks in WWII
Alot of single/double prop plaine owners use it.

It is a great product. searsh it up in google, to find the company website

Quote:
Here up north in Canada, most of us been using E10 for more than a decade or so, and never experience any issues with it.

We had a primer on it in the early 80's ...the side effect was that a lot of carb engines needed 3 fuel filters before the system was clean of build up.

You're right though. The only reason that we didn't have the same effects now is that fuel has had cleanliness standards that were not around in the early 80's.

That doesn't mean that a dirty carb didn't get effected by ethanol
21.gif

The carb was rebuilt a few years ago at the dealer. I just replaced the fuel filter about 500 miles ago. It always seems tough to start after shutdown or a hot start. The owners manual even say using Gasohol may cause hard hot starts and to go back to 100% gas.

It is ironic that the truck ran great for about 2 tanks of 100% gas then as soon as I put in half a tank of E10 the problem came back. I just put 12 oz of seafom in the tank in hopes this will help. This problem raised it's ugly head right around spring time when E10 was mandated in our area. Could be that E10 is cleaning out goobs of crud in the fuel tank and lines etc. and giving the carb fits. I will only fill up with 100% gas even if it does cost an extra $0.30 per gallon.

At this point . . .
21.gif

What effects will 2-stoke oil in small quantities have on the catalytic converter? I usually use up left over 2-stoke premix in the fall on my motorcycle or 4-stroke mower anyhow? Years ago I use up left over TCW-3 50:1 in this same Toyota being ignorant of any Cat convete issues.

How many oz per gal?

*edit insert*

Pickled - just saw your post I have some Yamalube TCW-3 that is just over 10 years old that is totally sealed gallon jugs - is this still good to use? Why is TCW better than air cooled 2 stroke oil?

Last edited:
500:1 is a very low ratio, and it works. Your engine is probably burning engine oil at that rate, which is worse for the cats. The TC-W3 I use is SuperTech, which claims it is ashless. If your oil also claims to be ashless then you should be fine.

Burn up the old two stroke in your ride. It's preferential because it is ashless.....meaning that it doesn't have zinc and phosphorous or other organo-metalic compounds to jack up your cat converter or O2 sensors. Go for an initial ratio of 500:1 and richen it up if you don't notice an effect within that tank. If you notice bogging down or lack of response back off on your next tank. I, and others on the board, have found that each engine has a sweet spot for optimal response. Good luck and have fun with the naysayers!

As Pickled mentioned there is a sweet spot and it takes a little experimentation to find it. A 500:1 mix is a good place to start: 2.56 oz/10 gallons. 400:1 would bring you to: 3.2oz/10 gallons of gas. Like everything else people like to add a little extra, and economy and power will suffer. At those doses you shouldn't have any cat conv. or sensor issues.

HTH
Frank D

Originally Posted By: dargo
Gary Allan said:
Quote:

You're right though. The only reason that we didn't have the same effects now is that fuel has had cleanliness standards that were not around in the early 80's.

That doesn't mean that a dirty carb didn't get effected by ethanol
21.gif

Not related to a toyo but:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25936782/

I'd say that relates to gas left in the tank over a season. There are many small engine issues with stale fuel. I believe that ethanol doesn't stand up well over time.

..but I've yet to see or really hear of an issue "in this evolution" of ethanol use. It's a farce on the cost:benefit energy balance sheet. It would be cheaper to just import more petroleum.

Anyone here using this product:

Startron

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=967497

**UPDATE**

Since the last episode last week "Truck left me stranded - wouldn't start until the next day" I have added a 500:1 2 stroke mixture to the gas. Truck was a tad tough to start "just once" yesterday on my mowing route. Float level window seems to varying quite bit from high to low. I will be going back to 100% gas on the next fill up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back