Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 (CJ-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has to be lots of stuff in there that we can't see with our $20 UOA for this to perform so well. I do like the starting TBN for a CJ-4 oil.

Delvac1 ESP 5W40 VOA
Delvac Accutrack @Staveley KC lab 5/12/08

Fe 1
Cr 1
Pb 0
Cu 0
Sn 0
Al 0
Ni 0
Ag 0
Si 1
B 76
Na 2
Mg 726
Ca 986
Ba 0
P 1101
Zn 1227
Mo 2
Ti 0
V 0
K 0

V40 97.20, V100 15.02, VI 162
TBN 8.9 (Yep...)

Cr was 0.
Can't figure out how to edit???

Looks like I waited too long...darn.

So with additive numbers like that the TBN suprised me a bit.

Last edited:
Here are the VOAs side-by-side...
Zinc? Viscosity?! Mechan1c's numbers seem more inline with what has been shown in shorter interval UOAs... I'd like to do another VOA - I felt the numbers I got were odd already, and this other VOA only puts them more into question.

Code:

Mechan1c fitzski

Fe 1 1

Cr 0 0

Pb 0 0

Cu 0 0

Sn 0 0

Al 0 1

Ni 0 0

Ag 0 0

Si 1 4

B 76 -

Na 2 4

Mg 726 680

Ca 986 -

Ba 0 0

P 1101 879

Zn 1227 800

Mo 2 4

Ti 0 0

V 0 -

K 0 2

V100 15 13

TBN 8.9 10

Last edited:
When you compare Bob Fout at TDI 5k UOA and a4TDI 15k it seems mechanics numbers look more like what we would expect in Delvac ESP.

fitski - when you UOA this oil that will tell the story.

It's nice to see a VOA on that, thanks to both...you just expect the numbers to be a little more "stout" on both in certain values.
I wonder what Doug Hillary has to say?

Here's a little insight concerning the TBN:

Quote:
"Hello and great hearing from you. I am assuming that the TBN test method used below is ASTM D4739. If so then the TBN is right on spec. Keep in mind that D4739 is used oil TBN and as such is typically 1 to 2 TBN numbers lower than ASTM D 2896 (is used for new oils)

The TBN values did lower as a result of API CJ-4 imposed chemical limits that limited the amount of sulfated ash (SA) containing additives. These SA materials directly contribute to TBN.

Having said the aforementioned, our testing has revealed that the Mobil TBN retention of the lower ash bearing (CJ-4) oils are very similar as their CI-4 Plus counterparts."

I'll post some UOA of this oil when I get a chance. I use it fleet wide in 270 vehicles with success.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Look at the spec sheet - it's second to none.

Thanks Garak, appreciate the support.

A new VOA wouldn't hurt, but I don't think anything significant has changed with this oil since the CJ-4 rollout. I wouldn't use a VOA to do much comparing, anyhow. The spec sheet shows what builder approvals it has and Mobil's recommended applications. And, as I said, those are second to none.

Originally Posted By: bismic1
Has anyone seen a film strength number posted for this oil?

HTHS should be around 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back