API SM ILSAC GF4 in older automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys.
Can we use API SM/ILSAC GF4 in older automobiles?
(Ow-20,5w-20,5w-30 and 10w-30 grades)
I mean originally API SH,SJ and SL recommended by the book?
These new oils have low zinc and phosphorus levels compared to the early SH SJ and SL rated oils but new non metallic anti wear additives in these oils giving better protection?
Thanks in advance.
Bob.

Use with confidence. If they weren't compatible, all of my family's cars would have died years ago. Instead 2 out of the 3 cars we have, none of which are newer than model year 2000, have well over 100k miles on them, the last few years running exclusively on SM-grade oil. They've all been running just fine.

He's probly asking about the older pushrod engines with flat tappits. The 4.0 Jeep uses flat tappits and I have not seen any more flat cam threads with a stock cam than normal on the Jeep forums.

Does seem like the guys that built strokers and used a different cam, springs etc are having more problems with the cams wiping out.

Only SAE grade 0w-20,5w-20,5w-30 and 10w-30 have low zinc and phosphorus levels.Other SAE grades still have high Zinc and phosphorus levels.

Hi SCIPHI what was the oil viscosity grade that you were using in your car?

Toyota62

I'm glad you you posted this topic I had the same question on my mind slightly different.

The OLD oil I was using (I won't name the brand) was a 10w30 with the following specifications:
API SL/CF
Ilsac GF3
MB 229.1
VW 505.00 & 500.00
Porsche
BMW

The new upgraded 10w30 replacing the one above has the following specifications:
API SM
Ilsac GF4.

I have emailed the manufacturer and I am awaiting a response.

Logical indicates if the NEW SM 10W30 version has been upgraded and improved then it should be equal to or better than the OLD SL version.

I guess the main query in mind based on MB, BMW, AUDI, VW, Porsche etc is the minimum HTHS is 3.5 Cst spec’s required by the manufacturer’s. Is there a GF4 oil that can meet the HTHS 3.5 Cst as well as the fuel economy ?

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Toyota62

The OLD oil I was using (I won't name the brand) was a 10w30 with the following specifications:
API SL/CF
Ilsac GF3
MB 229.1
VW 505.00 & 500.00
Porsche
BMW

The ILSAC GF-3/API SL is not that old, it is just one generation older, that should be compatible with API SM/ILSAC GF-4

The problem with lack of zinc is for high performance applications.
This means high lift cams with fast opening ramps and high spring pressure.
99% of stock cars will be just fine, and even better, with the new oils.

Doug
The label on the oil jug clearly states the 10w30 meets the specifications for manufacturers listed in the post above.

You maybe right the specifications it claims to meet may not be approved by the respective vehicle manufacturers.

Toyota62
Mobil 1 0w40 was meeting GF3 requirements when was going through its tri-synthetic phase of engine oil development some years ago. I was after a 10w30 that meet GF4 and ACEA A3 minimum spec's (HTHS 3.5 Cst).

Is there such oil?

Virginoil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back