Amsoil MCF 10W-40, 5088 miles, Honda VTX 1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the latest sample from my Honda VTX. 1300cc v-twin, water cooled. Oil is shared in the engine / tranny / clutch. Bike has 81,500 miles as of this change. Analysis done by Blackstone.
Typical run in my bike for this oil.
I don't ride my bike easy, though it is just a low revving cruiser. I do open it up whenever I can.
Commuting 5 days / week – 11 highway miles to work and 80 backroad miles home.
Several day trips – 4 – 500 miles each, maybe 1/3 highway and 2/3 backroads.
Temps were pretty mild for late Summer / early Fall. Nothing substantially hot or cold that I can recall.

Oil was run for about 5 weeks. No make-up oil added. Previous oil change was with the same type Amsoil. Oil filter was a Bosch 3323 and air filter was a K&N. No work has been done to the engine.

Brand /Amsoil MCF /Rotella T Syn. /Rotella T Syn. /Amsoil AMF
Miles on oil /5088 /4977 /4100 /5950
Miles on Unit /81,513 /70,502 /59,550 /34,150
Sample Date /10/06/07 /7/27/2007 /10/24/2006 /8/7/2005

Aluminum / 2 /3 /4 /3
Chromium / 0 /0 /0 /1
Iron / 8 /18 /15 /37
Copper / 8 /5 /8 /10
Lead / 0 /1 /0 /1
Tin / 0 /0 /0 /0
Moly / 48 /1 /1 /2
Nickel / 0 /1 /0 /1
Manganese / 0 /0 /0 /0
Silver / 0 /0 /0 /0
Titanium / 0 /0 /0 /0
Potassium / 1 /1 /1 /0
Boron / 2 /1 /0 /1
Silicon / 12 /15 /15 /12
Sodium / 5 / 7 /9 /4
Calcium / 3217 /3703 /2969 /3632
Magnesium / 12 /11 /11 /14
Phosphorus / 1180 /1238 /1095 /1053
Zinc / 1424 /1562 /1281 /1299
Barium / 0 /0 /1 /0
SUS @ 210º / 72.8 /64.9 /65.9 /67
Flashpoint / 385 /350 /365 /380
Fuel / span> /1.3 / Antifreeze / 0 /0 /0 /0
Water / 0 /0 /0 /0
Insolubles / 0.2 /0.3 /0.2 /0.3
TBN / 5.1 /9.7 /8.4 /8.6

Blackstone Comments:
You ran this oil a bit longer than the last and iron fell off the chart. This is the lowest reading
that we've seen from your 1300. It's odd to find iron at this level but it's not a problem in any kind of way
and all other wear read normally. We've seen you run the oil longer than this in the past and we think you
could easily go 6,000 miles on the next fill. No harmful contaminants were found and the viscosity of the
sample read normally for a 10W/40. The TBN read 5.1 so you still had plenty of active additive remaining.
We consider 1.0 too low for extended use.

I am pretty happy with this latest test. My bike seems to like this oil.
Iron looks great and that had me concerned with the old AMF. Viscosity seems to be a bit thicker but the TBN is lower.
How long might this oil be run for?

Last edited:
First let me thank you for typing your results so great!!

Your viscosity at 13.68 cSt@100°C is a nice 40. The Rotella sheared to a 30, perhaps that's why your iron was higher before. Your bike is doing well in the wear department, and I think you have a winner. The diesel oils have a higher started TBN, and I certainly would not worry about a TBN of 5.1 in a shear stable low wearing oil. 7500 miles wouldn't be a huge problem.

I agree with Pablo I'd run the next batch 7500. Just think, this is wear metal from both the transmission and the engine-impressive.

Blimey - Poisoned, I just noticed you are in RI. Do you ride in the winter?

Anyway not much chat on this UOA. What gives?
21.gif

That looks good. I just changed from Yamalube 10-30 to Amsoil 10-40 in my 06 v star 1100. I expect good things at my UOA!

That is truly impressive. How much does this oil cost? I've been highly impressed with many of the newer Amsoil UOAs I've seen, auto as well, and this seems as good as any, especially in comparison to the Rotella, which I've always regarded highly.

I would like to see how regular Delo 14W-40 would compare, for most likely a fraction of the price. I assume this MCF is a partial or full synthetic? Delo usually gives very good wear numbers across a broad range of engines.

Originally Posted By: glennc
That is truly impressive. How much does this oil cost? I assume this MCF is a partial or full synthetic?

MCF is a full synthetic and it costs $6.85/$9.20 qt.

Results like this are one of the reasons I use AmSoil in my motorcycle...I really like how AmSoil holds grade better than Rotella or Delo HD's I used to use.

Rock on...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Blimey - Poisoned, I just noticed you are in RI. Do you ride in the winter?

No - no riding in the winter (Dec - Feb)
I think the DPW crews must get paid by the pound of salt / sand they throw everywhere.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll try a 7500 OCI next time and re-test.

It looks like fuel dilution on the last Rotella T sample was the likely cause of the Rotella T being only 0.1 short of being a sae 40, the fuel dilution on that sample was substantially higher than any of the other samples.

Just curious, but why does Amsoil show an extremely high number with Moly....as compared with the other oils. Does Amsoil Motorcycle Oil have a lot of Moly....ie. tied to clutch slippage????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

for the love of blue sky, please do a LITTLE bit of reading on this site about the MYTH that is moly and clutch slippage.

I'm not seeing an amsoil advantage in these reports....The first amsoil sample had iron off the chart...And twice the levels of copper than one of the rotella samples despite one having some fuel dilution....

I dont think any of the ma amsoils have moly and if they do its less than 100 ppm.

Many MA rated oils have up to 100 ppm or 200 on moly, Now when you get up to 600 or 700 ppm it gets alittle more marginal.

I have no problem with running sub 100 ppm on moly though.

I see no reason to run more either and acheive longest clutch life. Eventually excessive moly will have reprecushions down the road on the clutch.

Bank it!

Originally Posted By: whitesands
I'm not seeing an amsoil advantage in these reports....The first amsoil sample had iron off the chart...And twice the levels of copper than one of the rotella samples despite one having some fuel dilution....

First sample was old formula. New formula kicked butt. Cu on all samples is just noise, especially in a shared box. MCF simply did the best.

Nice results with the MCF...it looks like a motorcycle oil that would work exceptionally well in many bikes.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
some people have run oils with i think 200ppm moly (SUNRUH) and no clutch issues
Depends on what kind of moly is in the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back