Grease and oil on pistol rails + stp

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I think Grant Cunningham was right about for sure was that food grease can be used successfully on a handgun. I have been using food grease that will flow easily even in the cold and it definitely seems to slow wear. You can use the food grease on critical areas to back up any gun oil-Hoppes, Hoppes Elite, WS, BF, etc. And the wear seems to be much less.

Gun oil simply does not seem to stay on for long-you have to put more oil on right before shooting and after every 50 rounds. The grease stays put and can really help out any gun oil.

Tempest, if you shoot a handgun a lot you can see the gradual development of wear with your own eyes. I don't have some kind of sensitive instruments for measuring the wear.

When you clean a gun do you not look and examine the gun for obvious signs of wear? A shiny place where coating is being rubbed off is a good indication of wear. Glocks (or perhaps I should say most Glocks) have a black coating. It may be possible to get a Glock that is all stainless steel. I don't know. You are told by range instructors and in training videos to be sure to put lubricate in places on guns that show developing wear.

When I first got my Glock I was using Hoppes gun oil and I could see the beginning of wear. When I examine the handgun after shooting several rounds and I have been using the food grease in addition to a gun oil there seems to be little in the way of new wear. My conclusion is that the grease is really helping the oil in the prevention of wear.

It's been my experience that guns wear to a point and then pretty much stop. Not to say that guns can't wear out, but it takes a lot like the pro's that put 50K+ a year through a gun.
My dad's K-22 hammer wore out from high use, but the rest of the gun is still operating well.

Unless you are putting thousands of rounds through the gun in a fairly short period, I think it would be difficult to determine real wear unless the gun is still breaking in.

It's not uncommon for a Glock to have a lot of finish wear on the friction points in the first thousand rounds or so and for it to pretty much stop after that.

That is true, especially with the .40 cal Glock. People have noticed for quite a while that there seems to be some wear with the .40 cal and then the wear stops. But the wear that you talk about is on only certain parts of the Glock.

I kind of think the Glock was really designed for the 9 mm round. The .40 cal is a high pressure round. I like my .40 cal Glock but I sometimes wish I had bought a 9 mm Glock. The 9 mm is less of a high pressure round and the ammo is cheaper.

On the other hand if you ever have to defend yourself against an intruder the .40 cal is certainly more effective than the 9 mm. I personally believe that American soldiers should have a more powerful handgun than the 9 mm. With handguns like the .40 cal Glock perhaps we are finally at a point (I hate to say this) where the old 1911 can finally be retired. I consider the Glock to be a better handgun. And a Model 22 Glock can carry 15 rounds in the magazine and the .40 cal round probably compares reasonably well with the old .45 round. So the Glock .40 seems like it would be a good handgun for American soldiers.

The Glock Model 21 which shoots .45 rounds is big-too big for many people with small hands. There is the Model 30 which shoots .45 rounds. But the Glock Model 22 .40 cal holds as many rounds as many 9 mm handguns and has reasonable power about the same as the .45. So to me the Glock .40 seems like a good choice today.

With good ammo, 9mm really isn't much less effective than .40S&W or .45ACP anymore. Technology is a wonderful thing.

With FMJ ammo, the more frontal area the more damage a handgun round will do. That's part of where 9mm has got its bad reputation from. A 9mm FMJ will sail right through a person like they aren't there. Unfortunately, our military doesn't use hollowpoints. Just switching to hollowpoints would increase the lethality of the round dramatically.

Just so I am not misunderstood I am really to a considerable degree a traditionist. I like the old 1911 .45. I like revolvers. Strangely enough I have never owned a 1911 .45 or a revolver although I have shot several. The handguns I have owned have been S&W semi-autos, SIGs, and a Glock. I am a traditionist but seriously I have to say that the Glock in my opinion is a better handgun than the 1911 or a revolver. And a better semi-auto than many other brands you can name.

When the Glock first came out I thought it was a joke. I don't think that way anymore. I had a chance to shoot several different Glocks (9 mm, .40., .357, and .45 I think) and of course now I own a Glock and the Glock is a superior handgun.

Some people do not like the way the Glock looks. Well, it would not win a beauty contest but in every other way it is superior. Glocks have proven to be very durable, easy to maintain, have about half as many parts as the SIG, and are easy to clean and require little lubrication. The trigger squeeze is the same all the time. Simply a better gun in every meaningful way.

8600+ rounds through my Glock 17 and it shows no signs of giving up. I'm still using the factory recoil spring, but I have a spare around just in case.

The mechanical genius behind these guns keeps me from seriously looking at any other guns, because I know they're not as well designed.

I am with you all the way. It really pains me to say that there is a handgun at last that can replace the John Browning 1911 but I really do think the Glock is that handgun. And the guy who developed the Glock was not even from a weapon background. It really is a genius design.

Getting back to using grease and oil I simply think that is a good idea. Any gun oil is going to have a hard time staying put unless you constantly keep adding oil. I think a little bit of the right grease will assist any gun oil.

Otherwise if a person uses just a gun oil I think you need to oil the gun right before shooting and every 50 rounds fired.

I've said many times: Glocks are a thing of beauty mechanically, but their ergos suck big time.

I've run several hundred rounds though my handguns using Weapon Shield and the oil can still be clearly seen. I put 1200 rounds through a Ruger MkII without relubing and the oil was still present. Got it so hot that the trigger was hard to touch. Oil was nasty, but still there suspending junk along the way. Clean up was easy.
Not all oils are built the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back