Eaton M112 Supercharger oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

my car (Jaguar XKR) is equipped with a superchager from Eaton (M112, 4th generation).

This supercharger is not oiled by the engine oil, but contians ca. 250ml of a special oil, of unknown composition (Eaton does not reveal it, only known elemnt is that it is full synthetic)

Eaton and Jaguar says that these are oiled for life, but I do believe in this, especially as I intend to live for some more years from now ;-)

Thus, with 100.000km/7years on the odometer, I think reasonnable to change this oil (and the drive coupler which is a known weak part).

And I'm wondering if I need to buy that oil from Ebay (Jaguar does not stock it, Eaton does not sell it to private people, and I cannot find it in Europe), or if I could fill in some engine or tranny oil ... Some people on the web did this without problems, but as I like this car a lot...

These Eaton superchargers are from the Roots type and rev at a maximum of twice the engine speed, so up to 14.000rpm. They are in fact rotary lob pumps which can get very hot due to the heat generated by the gas compression. This model has two intercoolers on top of it to limit the temperature of the gazes.

Any ideas on what the magic oil of Eaton may consist in?

Thanks a lot and brgds,

Thierry

Interesting and I have no idea what oil that would be. Maybe someone esle knows.

I have the M112 on my Mercury Marauder...a similar unit (M90) was used on the Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe and the Pontiac Gran Prix. Both Ford and GM dealers sell the correct fluid for this unit. Most people who do this themselves use the GM fluid as it is the same stuff and costs less.

I have this factory supercharger on my 04 cobra. Overlord is correct motorcraft and gm have a oil specific for this. Lot of people just use a 10w-30 synthetic even porting companys like Stiegmeir , or some like redline racing oil 30 weight.

Btw this has a 8oz capacity

Thanks for the answers so far... Yes, the GM oil seems the same, but it's not sold in Europe. Will check with Ford, but they do not seel models equipped with this SC in Europe either.

I red that the specificity of the Eaton oil may be that it does expand itself very little with heat...

Some people on the net recommand that aviation turbine oil:

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet...2380_jan_05.pdf

I use the GM oil, $10.95/10 ounce bottle and it takes two of them. have changed it twice in 65,000 miles but only the first one produced some cloudy fluid out of it. basically clean.

I have used Amsoil 0w30 in a previous one though with no problems at all. Admit that the GM product does smell a lot worse then the Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Thierry
Will check with Ford, but they do not seel models equipped with this SC in Europe either.
Thierry, I have a partial bottle of the Ford fluid in my garage...when I get home tonight I will get the part number from it...maybe you can special-order it through a Ford dealer over there.

Yep, but I'm in Europe and GM is not present here. Their local brand, Opel, only sells specific european models, none of which has an Eaton supercharger (supercharging is not common in Europe, we more use turbocharging and most european supercharged cars use the engine oil for SC lubrification)

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I wonder if a rotary-screw compressor oil would work? they are basically the same machine.

I wonder if some blower spec stuff would work too. In those applications it's primarily a coolant that has lubrication properties ..or so I'm led to believe. I scavenged a radiator from a scrapped unit. I can't find anything big enough to fit it in. It was about the size of my condenser opening on my minivan ..but about 4" thick.

Bruce or Mola would probably know what the fat is on this.

Even though he can't get it?
54.gif

Thierry, the Ford part number is E9SZ-19577-A and it's labelled "Synthetic Supercharger Fluid". It is in a 0.118L (4 oz) bottle, so you'll need 2 of them to refill the M112.

BTW, since you asked what was in it, the bottle says it contains butylated triphenyl phosphate and pentaerythritol ester. No wonder it smells so bad!

Well, RF, thanks to you I found the Ford specification for this supercharger oil, it's referenced:
ESE-M99C115-A

Can anybody get access to that document and paste it here, by any chance?

Here I found an oil that says it is compatible (maybe it's even the oil Eaton resells?) and its tech sheet. Maybe the experts here can tell us more on what type of oil it is:

http://www.nyelubricants.com/pdf/605_copy2.pdf

http://www.nyelubricants.com/autoguides/pdf/Auto_Powertrain_Brochure.pdf

Thanks again,

T.

Last edited:
BTW, had a look on the site of this Nye company: they seem to be really good in oils... and I do not have the feeling that this is only marketing talent... Any comments on them?

Nye is a first class company and well respected in the industry for their specialty lubricant formulation talents. Their 605 oil appears to be based on a Dipentaerythritol ester, a very expensive polyol ester often found in jet engine oils.

Regarding PE esters, they are used as the base oil in over 80% of the jet engine oils in the world and are extremely clean and stable when properly inhibited.

TomNJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back