ATF+4 in my transfercase

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO there are several fluids that would be better. Dodge did not develop ATF+4 to be a "super" fluid, it was developed to be an adequate fluid for many applications in order to save them money on the assembly line.

I have a Ram 2500 that calls for ATF+4 in the 47RE auto trans and in the NV241HD transfer case, I also have an SRT-4 that calls for ATF+4 in the NV T-850 5 speed manual trans. I have found that while the ATF+4 works well in the auto transmission it is simply not the best fluid for the transfer case or the manual trans, so I use different fluids in those.

Having said that, if you are still under warranty at all I would use what the manual calls for or your warranty will likely be void.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver

if you are still under warranty at all I would use what the manual calls for or your warranty will likely be void.

Naw When I got it i was told that it had a 7/70 warranty.....Then one day I got a letter in the mail from Jeep telling me that they reduced to to 3/36.

I'm @ 75K now. The OE fluid seems to turn black fast. I had to buy it from the stealer because I could not find it in the aftermarket locally untill a couple of years ago. My last fill was QS ATF+4 and after 25K it was still red.

It's just a transfercase. No clutches to slip. Just a chain, sprockets and it has an oil pump.

Maybe I'll just go back to the QS stuff.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
IMO there are several fluids that would be better. Dodge did not develop ATF+4 to be a "super" fluid, it was developed to be an adequate fluid for many applications in order to save them money on the assembly line.

I have a Ram 2500 that calls for ATF+4 in the 47RE auto trans and in the NV241HD transfer case, I also have an SRT-4 that calls for ATF+4 in the NV T-850 5 speed manual trans. I have found that while the ATF+4 works well in the auto transmission it is simply not the best fluid for the transfer case or the manual trans, so I use different fluids in those.

Having said that, if you are still under warranty at all I would use what the manual calls for or your warranty will likely be void.

Totally agreed and I proved it to myself by running something else after my warranty was up in my trans and tcase...

Originally Posted By: D-Roc

Totally agreed and I proved it to myself by running something else after my warranty was up in my trans and tcase...
What "stuff" was it?

If you use it for off road consider one of the synchromesh synthetic oils. Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL, etc.

I mixed 1/3 MTF with Amsoil ATF and the unit is still working fine.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
If you use it for off road consider one of the synchromesh synthetic oils. Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL, etc.

I've heard about guys doing this as well. I just don't understand how a syn ATF+4 would be inadequate in a TC over the long run.

If you aren't doing normal change intervals then I understand, but every 30k I drain the nv273 in my truck and fluid comes out looking like new and heck its only 2 quarts to fill.

A lot of stantionary rock crawling with gears binding and the chain under tension all the time, a slightly thicker oil would help but even then, a all geared atlas would be required than the chain driven np231 in that enviroment anyways.

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson
I just don't understand how a syn ATF+4 would be inadequate in a TC over the long run.

That is the point I am making, ATF+4 is just adequate. The poster wanted to know if there was anything better, and IMO there certainly is.

Case in point,When Dodge decided to go with ATF+4 in the NV T-850 manual trans the OCI was changed from 48k miles to 18k miles(whats that tell you), so I swapped it out every 18k until my warranty expired and the fluid was nearly shot.
Now I am running RP Synchromax in the T-850, the shifting quality is night and day.After talking with MolaKule I am going to try a Synchromesh type fluid next, which is what the T-850 was originally designed to use.

Quote:
A lot of stantionary rock crawling with gears binding and the chain under tension all the time, a slightly thicker oil would help

Has more to do with the additive package. The MTF type oils contain EP additives that ATF does not. This can be very important to the metal on metal conditions with a chain if worked hard.

Strictly my opinion.

Turboluvr, your talking about a trans though and not a tc. I agree with you though a syncromesh would be better suited.

Tempest, thats the asnwer I was looking for, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: D-Roc

What "stuff" was it?

Royal Purple Synchromax in my G56/Tcase on my Dodge Cummins. Big difference in my shifting...and I wouldn't be surprised if it was better wear protection as well.

BTW Harley, I am running RP Synchromax in the T/Case in my Dodge Cummins just like D-Roc is and it shifts just like butter now. Before, with the ATF+4 it was sometimes a PITA to engage. Also like D-Roc, I suspect it has better wear protection as well.

My tranny and tc is due for their 3rd change in 2k miles so I'll follow your suggestions of running Amsoil MTF 5w30 syncromesh in the transfer case as well as my NV5600.

Let us know what the Amsoil MTF is like in your trany and tcase...I was going to use that but opted for the RPS instead.

I just changed the fluid in my '92 Wrangler's NP231HD, with Mobil 1 Dexron/Mercon. I imagine it's superior to any comparable dino fluid and would serve you well. It's easily obtainable at Wal-Mart for $5.XX a quart.

Yes, let us know how the Amsoil works out. Amsoil was my first choice as well but I opted for the convenience of a product I could get off the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back