How to know gasoline contains additive package?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of any studies conducted to see if the gasoline being sold at retail outlets contained the required quantity of detergent additives?

It seems to me that the consumer really has no way of knowing for sure that the gasoline they are buying contains any additives at all. I used to sign tickets for deliveries of "unbranded" gasoline when working at a convenience store while attending college. This was at one of the larger retail store operators back then, so it was not a mom & pop operation. My understanding is that "unbranded" means that no additives are present.

Most of us in this forum add our own fuel system cleaners and UCL products, but what is Joe Consumer out there getting when he buys Brand "X" gasoline?

I know the cheap no name gas stations buy what ever is cheapest. BUt there is a least amount of additives needed in all gas by law. so there is some in all gas. now the name brand stations, like Shell, Sunoco, BP, ect. . . put in there own mix of detergents to set them apart from the rest.

I know BP started a new additive that is in all there gas now, and it is all over there pumps(stickers) which is called Invigorate.

I and my lincoln love the stuff. alot of online forums, and blogs rave about how great it is.

I really like it, and its all I buy since its at a good price, and they pump it for ya at no extra charge.

But shell and all the others have there version.
Shell is held up highly with there V-power as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
Most of us in this forum add our own fuel system cleaners and UCL products, but what is Joe Consumer out there getting when he buys Brand "X" gasoline?

I don't use additives on a regular basis. An occasional treatment with BG44K perhaps. Instead, I stick with Top Tier brands that include a quality detergent additive package.

Government standards require all gasolines to have a minimum detergent package. Does that mean all gasoline suppliers comply? Probably not, though I can't say for sure. But it is a fact that regulations have been reduced over the last few years and the "minimum" required additives may not work adequately in some of today's highly sophisticated engine/fuel delivery systems.

There are folks that sent out to make sure that when someone purchases one gallon of gasoline, they actually get one gallon of gasoline. I know of no such group that is sent out to verify that each brand of gasoline contains the required amount of detergent additives, top tier or otherwise.

When Chevron states that their gasoline contains Techron, what exactly does that mean (i.e. 150 ppm, 250 ppm, etc.)? Chevron gasoline being sold at a retail outlet could contain 1 ppm, or 10,000 ppm, of Techron and Chevron could legally claim that it contains Techron.

I am not picking on Chevron, but find it interesting that many of us, myself included, are loyal to certain brands without really knowing for sure the actual quantity of detergent additive that our preferred brand contains.

When Shell states that V-Power contains 5X the federally required minimum amount of additives, who confirms this to be true at the retail level? Again, I am not picking on Shell. I use V-Power in my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic

When Shell states that V-Power contains 5X the federally required minimum amount of additives, who confirms this to be true at the retail level?

It better have something extra in it here! It's $.40 a gallon more than Chevron or 76 here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back