VQ40DE — 4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

md1

I have a 2008 Nissan frontier with the VQ40DE — 4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine I cannot find any reports on this motor. Any recommendations would be welcome. I run m1 and RP in my other cars/trucks in the past and wife’s car now. I do not mind the cost of synthetic. I just like to know what performs well in these engines. This is my first Nissan.
Thanks

VQs usually like Amsoil, as far as I've seen. Mobil 1 is also a good choice -- not a surprise since their formulations are sort of similar.

If you want to get really flashy and draw lots. Of attention to yourself by using an uncommon oil, Motul 8100 X-Max 5w-30 would be great. Expensive, though.

Of course, all engines seem to love RLI's stuff...

There are a few reports here on the 4L VQ. They do well on the Ams ASL and the PP 5w30. I dont recall any M1 5w30 or 10w30 results, but the 3.5s havent preferred it. They do decent on the 0w40 though.

Ah yes. How could I forget about Pennzoil Platinum? Good call. That's another good option.

I have this engine in my 06 Frontier, I ran M1 but now PP, great oil either way and PP is $19 a jug for 5 qts @ Wallyworld, cant beat that!

welcome2.gif

I plan on 5000 and 7500 if I tow much those miles
Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
How long do you run your oil changes?

I have an '06 Frontier with that engine. It is still under warranty, so I'm required to change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. I only drive about 2500 miles during that period, so I just use a conventional 5W-30: in this case Formula Shell. Once out of warranty I'll stretch the OCIs out to one year. Probably will just stick to conventional oil, which ought to cover 5000 miles over one year easily, as I seldom tow or go off-road. But I'll check it out with a used oil analysis when the time comes to be sure.

I just picked up the same truck. Nice choice!
11.gif

I plan on using Pennzoil Platinum at 5K mile intervals after a couple of dino changes.

Nissans + Mobil = high iron. (In my experience)

I have the same truck and haven't figured out what I'm going to go with either. So far it's just been 2 changes on the dealer 5W30. Need to find a synthetic/semi before winter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back