Knoppix or other Linux on a CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is the situation. My daughter's computer won't boot. Vista is hosed. I had the idea to make a Knoppix CD and boot the compter to see if I can see the HD so I can maybe recover some of her files that she didn't back up.

If there is a different Linux on a CD ditro that you prefer, that's fine. OR, if there is a way to boot her laptop once so we can get her stuff off and then restore it back the factory original that would be fine too.

I've tried booting into safe mode and everything I can think of and it just won't boot up. Thanks in advance for any help...

What's hosed about it? Do you know what caused it? It's possible you can boot to Vista installation DVD and restore the MBR (master boot record) to fix the problem, depending on what's wrong. I'm not sure what the exact procedure is with Vista, though.

If you need to go the Linux LiveCD route, Knoppix is a good one. Other, more recovery-focused distros I've used are RIP (Recovery Is Possible) and LinuxDefender Live.

You could also try Ubuntu. Their installer CD image is actually a LiveCD setup that, IIRC, is able to read NTFS (Vista) volumes.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and good luck!

Last edited:
Ok, good, thanks for the info guys.

The second part I need some help with is making the boot CD. I looked at the download site for Knoppix and there are lots of files. I don't know which ones I need or want. there are a couple of large ISO files and several different various small files.

Is it as simple as downloading an ISO file, burning it to a CD and that's it? Fortunately I have a couple other functional computers to do this on.

What you will need to do is download the .iso file and then use a CD creator program that will allow a "burn from image" option and allow the use of .iso image files. I personally have used Roxio CD Creator and Nero, but I like Roxio the best.

Yes, best of luck to you.

The Ultimate Boot CD is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks! I wonder if I can use it off a USB storage stick? I registered at their forum and I am going to ask.

Ok, I went and looked at how the Ultimate Boot CD works and man is it complicated and involved. You need to have a Windows XP CD with SP2 etc. The whole process is way too complicated for me. I'm back to the drawing board...

good call overkill. Boot the Vista DVD, then if you have a USB stick, just copy some file management utilities to it so you don't have to use the command prompt if you don't want to.

I've had bad luck with knoppix on stuff with 256 megs of ram or less. But my brother-in-law says it ran great on 1 gig. Must be the unwillingness to create swap space on an unknown hard drive.

Also some laptops have a 'secret' rescue partition which may or may not be useful. break, f12, esc are all worth trying when it's in power-on-self-test.

A decent alternative to Knoppix is DSL ([censored] Small Linux) that can be booted from a flash drive, or booted from CD and loaded into RAM so you can take the disc out.

Thank you all for your help.

I tried everything I could to salvage any of her files on the HD and nothing worked. I finally restored back to the original factory setup. I stressed the need to back up several times to my daughter, I hope that she will. I'm planning on getting her an external USB drive that runs off the power supplied by the USB so it will be convenient enough for her to do it regularly.

As far as using Linux to boot so you can get things off the HD, it worked years ago for me with windows XP. Either the drive was too scrambled or Vista is somewhat of a different animal.

Darn, that stinks... at least you got it working again...Yes, the need to backup is real. Maybe Vista uses a newer version of NTFS that cannot be read by the Linux drivers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back