Brand new Nissan Frontier V6, help a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just brought home a 2008 Frontier 4x2 V6 with 7 miles on the odometer. Forgive me, but I am having a hard time figuring out all the abbreviations you guys use for things here. Can you guys make it real easy on me and tell me how to get my new toy off to a good start? I drive 60 miles round-trip to my job, 90% of that is on the interstate. I've never even changed my own oil before and probably won't start now. So what brand is best? Where should I go for oil changes? Should I start out with synthetic oil? The manual specifies 5w30, so I guess I should go with that...right?

Sorry to be so green, but I figure I have to start somewhere. Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats on your new truck. I don't know that much about oil either - at least not enough to recommend one brand over another - but if you're interested in learning how to change your oil buy a set of ramps, and a crawler. It should probably be fairly easy to get underneath and access the drain plug and filter on a pickup.

Also, even though any oil should suffice, if you're up to taking the risk, a 5W-20 or 0W-20 should improve your gas mileage. With a 60 mile round trip you're probably burning two to three gallons or $8 to $10 of fuel per day. That's roughly $2500 - 3000 in fuel per year. If you can improve on that by just 1% you'll save $30 with the 5W-20.

Last edited:
I would use a major brand dino oil only. Especially with 90% interstate driving, plus it's 60 miles of driving. I would use 5w30 as recommended. I would not use syn if your not doing the oil changes because there is a high probability you will get scammed. Avoid Jiffy boob type places at all cost!

If you don't plan to do your oil changes, go to your dealer for the oil changes, that is the best place and you will start a relationship with them which is good if you have any trouble with your truck.

They will probably call you at 3 months for the oil change anyway. When you will be at your first oil change, tell them what is your commute and that you want to move to the schedule II maintenance (every 6 months or 7500 miles). See what they think of that but keep in mind that they want to do money on you so be strong and accept only strong proof that it is good for your engine (the owner manual say otherwise, Mr dealer).

Read your manual and collect data here before going to the dealer or you could be ripped off.

Congratulations on your purchase, have fun with it.

Welcome! Like others have said, major name brand 5w-30 oil is what you want.

I picked up my new Frontier a month ago. Here's a Frontier site on changing your oil - it is not difficult. Probably the hardest thing is getting the oil filter off the first time. The factory puts them on very tight.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/how-change-your-oil-05-vq40de-18725/

Changing oil is the first step towards becoming in tune with your vehicle. Doing your own maintenance saves money and you know it's done right. But be warned, this may lead to long term obsession!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back