E10 Ethanol and a Toyota 22r with a carburetor . ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been having some drivability issue with my truck lately. Carb was completely rebuilt a few years back at the dealer, I recently replaced the fuel filter, valves where adjusted at the dealer and the difference was night and day. It was waaaaay over due for an adjustment.

But . . . I have been having some intermittent fuel delivery issues. I think they are fuel related . . .? A month or so ago the truck would start rev up and then immediately die. Did this for days. Of course my wife had been the last person to drive it and parked it in the worst possible spot blocking my staging area for my lawn & garden biz. Then one of those days it started up and ran just fine - except for what is happeneing now.

Only one gas station in town has 100% gasoline out of Montana and it sells for $0.20 more per gallon.

So . . . a few more fill ups and the fuel system will be purged of ethanol.

Any thoughts?

Check the fuel pump. My 1988 Mitsubitshi pickup also had fuel problems, turns out to be the fuel pump, even though I changed the carb and fuel filter. I think it might be the ethanol messing up with older carb'd vehicles.

Clog lines especially on the fuel pickup from the tank, put a pressure gauge. Just giving you idea.

Currently on my 2nd tank full tank of 100% gasoline to see if is ethanol related. Sure enough the issue is very minimal at this point. I'm not sure if it's ethanol related or stale gas related at this point. Truck hasn't seen all that much use this last year.

I dropped by my Toyota dealer recently and the I talked to the Toyota mechanic who actually rebuilt the carb a few years back. He recommended using a fuel system cleaner to remove any intake deposits etc.

So . . . other than using Seafoam is the gas what carb safe product do you recommend?

Honestly I do feel it is float level related. When the flat level is already low the extra ethanol is likely making it worse.

Time will tell

35.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crusader

So . . . other than using Seafoam is the gas what carb safe product do you recommend?

Amsoil PI or Gumout Regane or Chevron Techron Concentrate (make sure it says 'concentrate', there are other Techron products)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: n8wvi
Originally Posted By: Crusader

Amsoil PI or Gumout Regane or Chevron Techron Concentrate (make sure it says 'concentrate', there are other Techron products)

Thanks - will look for that
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back