Rack and Pinion Leaking AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
so it seems about every 2-3 years I have to replace the rack and pinion in my car, a 97 Toyota Avalon. I baby the rack each time, not turning it to lock, etc. but it still fails. Recently while I was tracking down a clunk in the front suspension I noticed that the rack is leaking again (which explains why the fluid level was dropping in the reservoir). Anyway, to make a long story short, do you guys know of a good company to get a rebuilt rack from? The place my mechanic orders these parts from apparently doesn't do a good job since ive gone thru 3 racks! Another option is to get a used one from a junkyard, but I know that Toyota installed defective racks on cars from the late 90s. If anyone knows what model years were affected and what model year they fixed the problem that would also be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I would get a used genuine OE Toyota rack instead, citing a lot of poor quality rebuilts out there that's just not worth the $$$.

If $$$ is not an issue, consider getting a factory OE rack unit from Toyota (*talk to the parts dept for a discount because this is such a high-priced item*).

Q.

p.s. I'm not aware of Toyota installing defective racks on cars, citing my wifey's 1993 camry still on it's original rack w/o any problems so far.

Raise H$!! with your garage!!! If they're not using lifetime warranty parts, their doing you an injustice. If they are using lifetime warranty parts, they're stuffing it where the sun don't shine!

Bob

the guy uses a parts place that gives a 1 yr warranty on parts. Hes done right by me in the past and installed the new racks for free or almost free, but I'm gonna buy my own part this time because Autozone has lifetime warranteed parts, as do most other chain places. However, I do not know the quality of these rebuilt racks. One is made by Atsco?? Anyone heard of it? I was checking on car-part.com and found OE used racks for as little as 50 bucks. But who knows if theyre good...

Last edited:
whos going to install it? as a tech i would refuse to install customer supplied parts unless they were aftermarket. if i would install them, there was no warranty on anything.

btw oil filters werent included in that, same with oil.

Last edited:
yea I know the deal hes installed used parts for me in the past which have luckily functioned perfectly. Basically if its my part is my problem; if it fails I'll have to pay for labor twice, this is why I let him use his own racks in the 1st place. But no more, I wanna put a good rack in there even if it costs me more and be done with it. I've also considered just doing the work myself.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
"I've also considered just doing the work myself. "

On a rack install, let us know how THAT turns out!

Bob
it's not hard :D just get it aligned after

Originally Posted By: parimento1
you can break the clock spring by over-rotating the wheel? I didn't know that.

Think he means after rack is disconnected from steering shaft.

Bob

They say some rebuilt racks are stronger than stock b/c the sleeves they put in are steel not aluminum.

How that applies to your toyota rack... IDK... Might be thinking of GM, who made bunches of duds in the 80s. But if you see a sleeved rack that might be a good thing.

Just a thought, but rack remanufacturers won't warranty the rack unless the ps fluid has gone through a flush after it is installed.

in all fairness now that I think about it, the failure could have been caused by the pwr steering pump that exploded and threw metal in the system. It was flushed but who knows if it got all of the debris out?

Nissan made a ton of failure-prone racks during the 1980s too. It seemed like most of the early FWD Maximas and the early 300ZX had leaking racks.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
I wonder who toyota uses as suppliers...I know denso is one, NGK is another, but im sure im missing quite a few

NGK doesn't make racks mind you though for they are in the business of emissions-related components, and high temp/high insulation ceramic products for industrial use (just like Taiyo Yuden into ceramics for electronic industries).

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back