Win XP Service Pack 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I got a prompt to install Service Pack 3 from windows update.
I was wondering if it's ok to install it.

did anyone here install it already?
any bugs/disadvantages of installing this?

Thanks.
XP Pro.

Last edited:
Yeah, installed both the beta and then the official pack. No harm so far. The system is a touch faster overall, and no problems from the installation or subsequent use.

This is on my 4 year old laptop with XP Pro. Seems about as fast as my fiancee's Vista laptop.

thanks, all.
Just installed on our 2 XP pro laptops; seems to work fine; didn't notice anything special...
(might be tiiiiny bit faster? idk for sure)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Installed it about half a year ago on my old laptop. No problems.

How could you have installed six months ago a service pack that was released in May?
54.gif

The beta versions were out last October or before, some people had their hands on unauthorized early versions last August.

It's still beta
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Installed it about half a year ago on my old laptop. No problems.

How could you have installed six months ago a service pack that was released in May?
54.gif

In May it officially became available through automatic update in Windows. However, it was available for manual download by going directly into microsoft's site long before that.

I got automatic update turned on for windows xp. so I have service pack 3? I need to look it up

It dowloaded but fails to install after reboot and reverts back to SP 2. Where has it downloaded to as I neEd to get rid of it and the yellow sign saying update ready to install?

I have auto updates on but didn't received notice of it. It wasn't until I read it year and I went to the Windows Update page and found it available.

My browser seemed slow last night. Not usually a problem around midnight?? Will take a look at it again tonight.

OK, school me here. Do I NEED to go to SP3? I have SP2 installed. Will it, maybe speed it up some? Is it worth it. I looked last night and that's one big arshe file, 321M to down load. Worth it?

No, you don't need SP3 . . . for now.

But as newer apps/upgrades and patches/updates come out, more and more of them will require SP3.

It's the same dance as usual: as time grinds on, MS throws the older riders off the wagon. SP2 is just about off the wagon.

I've noticed my internet speed has slowed down some since I've boosted up the memory about a year ago. Would the SP3 clean up some of that junk and speed it back up? Or is there a freeware program to clean up some memory? I don't want to go in there manually and start messing around. I'm usually doing internet at the house and that's about it. I've already defraged and disk cleanup, but not much better. I looked at processes under task manager and there were a lot of programs running that I didn't even recognize.

Some people are reporting modest OS speed increases with SP3. In all the systems I have so far upgraded, I have not seen significant speed changes one way or the other.

I'm not aware of any Internet speed changes resulting from SP3.

I use the usual suspects to tidy up a sluggish computer: CC, AusLogics Registry Defrag, and a good disk defragmenter (I use PerfectDisk).

It's better to go into the services manager in administrative tools and disable things rather than start killing running apps through the task manager, but only if you know what you're doing.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Some people are reporting modest OS speed increases with SP3. In all the systems I have so far upgraded, I have not seen significant speed changes one way or the other.

I haven't really noticed any difference in speed either. If there was one, it was so small that it escaped me.

Quote:

I'm not aware of any Internet speed changes resulting from SP3.

Yup, SP3 won't cure that.

Quote:

It's better to go into the services manager in administrative tools and disable things rather than start killing running apps through the task manager, but only if you know what you're doing.

Yeah. And both CCleaner and Spybot S&D let you see the startup apps and allow you to turn them off (after next bootup). Spybot even has descriptions for most of them explaining what they are and if they're typically not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back