Not open for further replies.
Here is my first UOA with ESP. The particulars are as follows:

Lab used: Predictive Maintenance Services/AV Lube
Car: 2004 Jetta GL (PD engine)
Mileage on car at time of sample: 163,911
Miles on sample: 15,754
Oil: Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 (CJ-4)
Make-up oil added: 200ml
Fuel used: Mostly (but not exclusively) BP#2 Diesel, plus 4 ozs Stanadyne Performance Formula added with each fill up
Oil in engine from 2/25/08 through 7/21/08 and in temperatures from -8F to +92F
Oil extracted with a Pela 6000

Iron 35
Chromium 2
Lead 4
Copper 4
Tin 1
Aluminum 7
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 2
Silicon 4
Boron 30
Sodium 7
Potassium 4
Magnesium 696
Calcium 1472
Phosphorus 1246
Zinc 1174
Molybdenum 1
Barium 0
Visc @100c 16.34
Water 0
Fuel 0
Glycol neg
Soot 0.773
Oxidation 19
Nitration 13

Lab comments:
"Wear levels appear normal. Soot levels slightly above normal. Check for source of soot. Viscosity slightly high. Change oil and filters (if not already done) Resample at normal interval."

My comments:
Not outstanding, but not too bad either considering the mileage on the sample. I had originally intended to tap a sample at 10k and have it analyzed. Work commitments prohibited me from doing this as I have been away. Because of probable lower NOACK volatility with the new formulation, my engine required less than half as much makeup oil as with the M1 TDT I had been using.

I asked for TBN to compare with CI-4+ but the lab didn't provide it.

My engine had been run on Delvac 1 for 101,323 miles at the time of this sampling. As usual, I cut the filter open to check for metal particles. None were found. The engine continues to run well and with no problems.

I welcome your comments.

I looked at your last UOA using the CI-4+ version with interval of 11,600 miles and see that the soot content was only 0.2% while here it is 0.77% for 15,754 mile interval...same fuel and additive used. Is there anything you can think of that could cause the soot increase?

That likely accounts for the viscosity increase in this sample and considering the amount of soot, the wear is good IMO.

The decrease in oil consumption is interesting. Thanks for posting this UOA. I am eyeing this oil for gas engine duty. Where did you get it?

JAG,

The only reason I can come up with for the soot may be the fact that we didn't exclusively use the same fuel this time. There are no mechanical problems with the engine. It may be that almost 16k is simply too many miles for this oil. Had I been able to tap a sample at 10k, I suppose the soot level would have been more acceptable. As you point out, the wear numbers are pretty good. Especially considering that this oil isn't rated for the PD TDI engine.
wink.gif

I buy the oil by the 4 gallon case from AV Lube.

http://www.avlube.com

Could the lower starting TBN of the CJ4 version account for the higher soot reading? I'm not sure if the 2 are even related, but the question came to my mind. I'm not even aware how the soot level is determined.

For wear, that is one heck of a good report. Typical wear on most PD TDI's is almost double that for the normal OCI...and people who encounter that type of wear (near double) say..."normal wear..."
Nice.

Excellent report for that combo...I wouldn't change a thing. Did you happen to have a lot more traffic and idling during this OCI?? If the CJ-4 add pack keeps that level of soot in suspension and wear isn't an issue then I would say you are good to go. Makes me wonder if your previous samples had higher soot levels too, but maybe they agglomerated and "sludged out" in the pan somewhere.

add a bypass filter to catch soot and your viscosity should hold up longer also, excellent uoa low wear metals.
with the bypass filter at the same interval the oil should still be good for continued use.
otherwise excellent oil sample

Last edited:
Doug,

Whilst .7% soot isn't all that high, it is on the high side for the TDI PD engine. Still, it's nice to know that the oil can adquately handle much more soot than my engine puts into the oil. The PD engine has a history of markedly increased wear as soot approaches 1.0% and cam/roller failures are not unheard of. My thinking is that this is a quality-of-materials/quality control problem on the part of VW or their cam manufacturer.

Thanks for your comments. It'a always nice to hear from you.

Cheers,

Mark

Originally Posted By: pickled
Excellent report for that combo...I wouldn't change a thing. Did you happen to have a lot more traffic and idling during this OCI?? If the CJ-4 add pack keeps that level of soot in suspension and wear isn't an issue then I would say you are good to go. Makes me wonder if your previous samples had higher soot levels too, but maybe they agglomerated and "sludged out" in the pan somewhere.

Yes, a lot of idling time because of numerous road construction projects in our area. As an FYI, I have never drained the oil from the pan on this engine. Instead, always using the Pela pump. There is that likelyhood of agglomeration/sluge that may have become dislodged.
Regardless, my wear numbers have always been excellent with this oil. Even if it does lack VW certification.

Wear metals do look quite good. I agree with you about the fact that VW most likely does have an engineering/material selection issue with this model. VW is interesting because they rely on the oil manufacturers to be the band-aid for their design. FWIW based on your wear numbers this oil gets my VW approval stamp!
01.gif

A4, I am glad to see the "new" D1 performing well. I guess those folks over at the TDI forums who claimed "doom and gloom" really need to consider your results carefully.

I might as well admit it, I have been doing the very same thing, using D1 or TDT in my 06 PD. I left my factory fill in for a short interval and switched to D1 from that point on. I change my oil a bit sooner, mile wise, than you do. Because there is a very good possibility that the fuel I use may contain higher levels of sulfur.

I have enough TDT (the older stuff) for at least 3 more oil changes. So, I won't be switching right away. In any case, my UOA results have been stellar. With Iron readings in the single digits. During my last oil change, I took a good look at the 2 visible cam lobes and the single roller through the oil cap. They look fine. (very scientific, I know,,,,)

The new TDT is available locally. I may send a sample out for testing to see if the additive package is different from the new D1.

Delvac 1, and presumably the Delvac ESP, has always shown an ability to protect TDIs even in a high-soot environment. Your soot is high but not excessively so. And the wear metals in your UOA are low.

I would say that 15k miles is about the maximum you should go with this oil and no bypass filter. But clearly it's safe to go well beyond the 10k miles that VW recommends. That's why I like Delvac 5w40 in all its configurations -- plenty of safety cushion beyond 10k miles.

Even though it is not an "approved" VW PD oil, I would certainly not hestitate to use it in such an application.

cujet

How about posting that UOA in the database thread at the club. You can copy and paste fill in your numbers only takes a minute.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=205814

I am recruiting DEO and S9000 users with PD engines. I would like to see more Rotella T CJ4 and now there is Valvoline CJ4. PC Duron E 0W40 is another that I hope some in the north will use.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=215098

There is a list of all the new CJ4 oils that are <.1 ash and synthetic. I am very anxious to post my first S9000 in Dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back