Lucas Transmission Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank, when I came back from the hospital today after visiting my father I pulled the transmission dipstick out of the ford. I did not run it today, I ran my company truck for fear of tearing up the ford. I noticed on the dipstick streaks of black goo mixed into the red atf and also spotty areas of liquid goo on the dipstick. I will do the t-tec flush myself this weekend when I have time. I know how where to unhook the lines going into the bottom of the radiator. I will run something Mercon V approved hopefully find something like Napa or Carquest and see what happens in a 100 miles. I will also change the filter. Doing this myself will save a bunch of dollars. Thanks, Ryan

I would run the T-Tech purge with new fluid introduced before rushing to judgement. I am sorry about not posting sooner, but the Lucas product and ARX are working on your trans issues from two different perspectives. I am not sure that both products in the trans are a good idea to start with. But perhaps the Lucas product is trying to improve viscocity of the old fluid, while ARX is trying to clean out contamiantion build up in the valves and torque convertor. Results may be that the fluid is now way out of spec. Based on the vehicle history of this unit, towing in NC, it is likely that the unit was suffering from spent fluid to start with. The purge should be done to pan out the old fluid and adds, concurrently. See what you get.

Thanks, Rick for the comments. I just screwed up and should have waited on the arx instead of taking the Lucas Bait. My gosh the Lucas was so thick. I did not put much in. My arx came in and I added the 6 0z and have ran around 1000 miles. I agree the fluid is way out of wack. To high viscosity combined with the goo the arx has broken away. I am going to try to find a cheap mercon/dex fluid, maybe carquest or valvoline or napa or supertech and purge the system myself. Seems simple. If things straighten up then I will go to a higher quality AtF. Ryan

The last time I was at Carquest they had some cheap Dexron- Mercon transmission fluid for $2.50 a quart. When you do the T-Tech see if you can get another person to help you out.

If this is a RWD Ford unit, then it is important to pull down the pan and filter, and then re-torque all the valve body bolts evenly to 110 inch lbs. These small diameter bolts have 8 and 10mm bolt heads. The thin gasket between the valve body and the case compresses over time and these bolts loosen significantly and allow cross-leaks, allowing shudder due to partial engagements. Do not use DexIII/Merc unless for an extremely short flush/run, say for less than 1000 miles. You can get good-but-cheap SuperTech MerconV for $3-3.24/qt. The Valvoline MercV fluid is "full synthetic", but probably GrIII from looking at the price. A true upgrade fluid IMO would be M1 MerconV or Amsoil ATF. Lubegard Red does not help with shudder much in my experience, but the tube of ShudderFix does work, or a half bottle or so of Lubegard black. Too much friction modifier could cause clutches/bands to slip too long before locking up during each shift. You want just enough of the anti-shudder additive to get rid of your shudder, then add no more! Don't put in any anti-shudder additive if the shudder stops with the new fluid and valve body re-torque alone.

Only one problem with your issue this transmission calls for Mercon only. Not Mercon V. I had the ford dealership do a total flush and add Mercon V helped for a little but it you read on ford forums the e4od is not to use the upgraded Mercon V. Thanks for the suggestion on the re-torque of bolts. I will do that.

FWIW I just did a complete flush and filter change on a 96 F150 with the E4OD trans behind a 4.9 6 cyl engine. I also did the valve body re-torque. Used Maxlife, which the front label mainly listed as a DexIII/Mercon fluid. On the back however, it was listed as suitable for MerconV. Anyhow, no shudder issues before or after the service. Also, added 1 bottle of Lubegard Red. Ended up using 18 quarts total at 2.50 ea (from Big Lots a few months back).

Glad it worked for you but my 94 ran terribel on the V. Dex Merc was my ticket and I will stay with that. Ford and their Tsb situation is not got it all together for older transmissions.

That Lucas goo is tricky. I have a Subaru Forester with 4AT that immediately started shifting like a mule kicks after replacing about 3qts of the ATF with AMSOIL. I mean really bad shifting all over the place that would not stop with an ECM reset.

I ended up draining as much as I could and putting dino ATF in which helped a little, but there are 10qts of ATF and the car drains only 3qts at a time. So I added the Lucas Trnasmission Fix that cured rough shifting completely, BUT now it it has shudder in low gears until the car warms up comletely.
21.gif

My take on the Lucas is it thickens the viscosity of the host ATF which may help and may not. Auto-Rx really helped me clean out the torque converter and other parts.

Lucas works I have proved it several times from auto trans that would hardly even pull to just helping at change time .It works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back