abuse of vette tail lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://maine.craigslist.org/car/778509156.html

01020501040701030420080801d270e5afa22b2df94d004d1d.jpg

Yeah use a ruler next time so they're kind of even.

Also has the elusive backup light delete.

It's the first day of the rest of this truck's life where it won't pass state inspection... "lost interest, er, intress"... you betcha.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

It's the first day of the rest of this truck's life where it won't pass state inspection... "lost interest, er, intress"... you betcha.

Why, are the Maine state inspection people the fashion police too?
grin2.gif

For starters you need backup lights and rear reflectors which the vette lights may or may not have built in. Some mechanics are easygoing about this but others are jerks who go "by the book."

It's intriguing, in a dangerous/skeptical way, when a vechicle that will definitely take a sticker, is pulled from active driving duty as soon as the old one expired. Oddly I'm less skeptical of a car with a 6-month expired inspection if there's a good story about why it's been parked.

Quote:
Maine state inspection

If memory serves, Maine doesn't require state inspections.
crazy2.gif

I seem to remember some commotion here in PA a few years ago about guys getting semi's licensed in Maine, thereby eliminating the requirement for annual safety inspections. So, PA started doing more roadside inspections, and any vehicle that was unsafe was put out of service.

Kinda' like the Liberian oil tankers ("a Liberian oil tanker ran aground today, spilling millions of gallons of crude. The ship had no working navigation lights, radio or sonar equipment, etc...") you always hear about.

Nein, we inspect everything except antique cars and trailers under 3000 lbs, get windshield stickers just like PA. Except trailers get a sticker with the goo on the back, since they're not getting stuck to glass, and motorcycle "stickers" aren't sticky at all and get held with the registration.

I see lots of Maine-registered semi trailers all over the country, figure there must be some financial reason. The plates are often good for a real long time. Kind of like most Uhaul trucks have Arizona fleet registrations.

There may be some legal hooey, like one can register a trailer in Maine but if they never have it in this state, they never have to get it inspected. So it's good for the other 49.
21.gif

Believe you're right but could also see a state inspection that meets the guidelines qualifying.

There are random spot checks at weigh stations and a goodly percentage of the rigs get pulled out of service for log or equipment violations... troopers wheel around under the trailers checking brakes etc.

in our state trucks for commerical use, over 10,000 pounds gvw, are subject to the same inspections, on my truck we have a intra state federal dot number so we dont need to get a sticker or pay for an inspection every year but we are subject to random stops by the state patrol and any city that feels it needs to look at the truck, two years ago i got stopped four times in two weeks, and it takes an hour each time.

now since then i must be all safe and stuff, because i havent been stopped once!

i drive about 100 miles a day some times as much as 150, and the rules tell me that i have to keep a log if i drive over 100 continuous miles, of course i learn all of this fun stuff at the side of the road

our state just couldnt seem to share the rules first, but its all part of the fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back