Best OIL Drain Pan for home garage use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of those elcheapo oil drain pans I bought from Wallyworld and it works ok but its nothing special, anyone use a drain pan they really like and can recommend?

PLMK, thanks!

Last edited:
I like the blitz brand Drain pans at walmart that have a elephant nose type spout that you can pour oil into a container.

Works well for me just wish it held more oil.

Last edited:
For most oil changes, I use a cheap five sided drain pan-plastic.
Works OK for 4 or 5 qt changes.
Also have a larger metal round pan I use for transmission pan drops.
Both have been here a long time and work well enough.
Cheap pan is easy to clean after OC.

I'm guessing your el cheapo pan is just fine. As groucho says, it's the ones that don't work that get attention. The things to watch out for in a drain pan are that it be shallow, easy to pour out of, and hold the amount of oil you're draining. Some 8-qt drains are too much fluid for my pan. Keep it simple.

drain pan?? I guess you guys use jacks too huh? what a waste of money. All i do is drive my car over a ditch pull the plug and let it rip. And if you ever been to louisiana you would see we are all in great shape and perfect health. [censored] it even makes the water taste better.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Firehawk409
drain pan?? I guess you guys use jacks too huh? what a waste of money. All i do is drive my car over a ditch pull the plug and let it rip. And if you ever been to louisiana you would see we are all in great shape and perfect health. [censored] it even makes the water taste better.
wink.gif

Come on your giving us southerners a bad name, that went out with the lake pontchatrain basin foundation did'nt it?
cheers3.gif

BTW-My buddy owns 1994 Firehawk #410 and lives across the river, do you know him?

Last edited:
haha,just having a lil fun. It's sad but growing up I heard a few of the "drive over a ditch" stories.

I don't know him personally but I think he posts up on gsfcc.com. Where abouts you live?

I use a mortar-mixing tub. It's wide enough to catch splashes, and it will hold much more than any drain pan I've seen, and I just pour it out of the corner into a funnel to get it into my used oil transport can.

I have an oldie but goodie. Holds 4 gallons. Molded pour spout with cap. Low profile fits under any car and a nice molded in carrying handle.

Last edited:
Because the oil changes and ATF drain/refills for my car are less than 4.5 litres, I'm able to use one of these graduated mixing pitchers:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/G56800/Measuring-Pitcher-Polypropylene-1-gal

It fits perfectly under my car when I drive up on ramps. The graduations make it easy to determine how much oil the car used or how much ATF needs to be poured back into the tranny. The spout makes it easy to pour the old fluid into old oil bottles for disposal.

I just wish they made one larger one than 4.5l.

For years I used a 5 gallon joint compound bucket. I cut the bucket to a size that fits under the car, it holds over 2 gallons of oil w/o a problem. I usually slide a big piece of cardboard under the car and put the drain pan on that. The cardboard stops any oil drops that might be blown by the wind from hitting the ground.

Frank D

The cheapest drain pan at Wallymart (about $2.00) is fine excapt the "pour area" of it tends to overflow if you are not super careful. On the positive side its small enough to fit into the dishwasher if you want to clean it up.

My favorite drain pans have a closed top except for a screened area about 8" in diameter (and normally a cover for this area). That way if the drain plug is hot you can let it fall onto the screened area and pick it up when the oil has drained. Beats having to fish the drain plug out of the drain pan with a wrench.

After most of the oil has drained, I slide a cut-open quart container to catch the final drops. This lets me dispose the oil and fish out the drain plug while I let it drip a long time.

In a corner in the garage I keep an "oil change kit". It consists of a 5-gal receptacle, funnel and drain pan parked over it, and a 5-gal bucket that holds the used oil filters and other oily stuff I use, and is also used for transmission flushes.

"Beats having to fish the drain plug out of the drain pan with a wrench."

I used to use one of those magnets that are extendable to get the plug out of the hot oil, although now I have the Fumoto on both cars...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
"The graduations make it easy to determine how much oil the car used "

Ya ever hear of a "dip stick"???
shocked2.gif

Bob

The engineer in me likes to know whether I'm down 100ml, 200ml, or 500ml
55.gif

Actually I find it more helpful for ATF changes where it tells me how much new fluid to pour in without having to warm up the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back