Bead Seating

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is bead seating?
Michelin says do not inflate past 40 PSI to seat the bead - even the tire is rated for max 44 psi cold.
Is this something done at installation and once the tire is on it can safely carry 44PSI?

Ever watch a tire being installed? They have to get the tire bead to seat on the rim. The bead will usually make an audible "pop" when it seats. Excessive pressures can explode the tire and rim assembly (or so I was told by the dealer).

most tires will seat with a lot less than 40psi. the seat pressure had no effect on normal operating pressures. when i did tires, certain brands would seat at extremely high pressures. michelin pilot sports, and a lot of other high end tires will seat high because they have thin widewalls are are usually being stretched on a narrow wheel.

As bdc said, most will seat well under 40. Occasionally, though, they don't. Proper procedure is then to deflate, relube to include lubing wheel mounting surfaces, and try again. Occasionally this is still not enough. Thats when you stand waaaayyy back, use the tip of the toe on inflator, and air till she goes! Have hit 80 a few times! Pucker factor goes through the roof!

Truck tires in cages are a whole 'nother spincter tightener.

Bob

Originally Posted By: eljefino
bead seating, eljefino style:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NlYvKi89Q_U

1:47 into video

Personally they usually pop in for me at about 7 psi. They use cages for heavy truck tires b/c if they let go it'll cut you up.

All I can say is: WOW!!! Amateurs!!
frown.gif

Hmm. When I get new tires I usually get some gummy looking thing around the edge of the rims. I surmise this was lubricant of some sort? I thought it was a sealant.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Hmm. When I get new tires I usually get some gummy looking thing around the edge of the rims. I surmise this was lubricant of some sort? I thought it was a sealant.

its probably the lubricant from mounting. i was always thougtful and wiped it off.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z

Another guess: protect the rim edge during shipping and mounting?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
We had some very low profile tires that would not seat [AMG].
We ended up using starting fluid and a match.
Well, it worked.

This is very dangerous!!! There are a few Youtube videos of tires catching on fire and once that happens the rubber is no longer fit for use.

Not to mention that this is a good way to break beads. People sometimes get killed when beads break in mounting.

If you can't get the tire to seat doing it the normal way, something is wrong. You need to figure out what is wrong and correct it.

I just mounted a tire using only screwdrivers. It was to test for rim leaks. My mom came out to see what the bang was when the bead seated. I wish I could mount all my tires myself but it's not worth the risk to save $50. I'll stick to bike tires.

I've mounted at least a couple dozen tires in my basement. I put a little lube on the rim and stand the tire upright (for safety) to seat the beads. It makes a loud pop but I've never had problems.

Originally Posted By: TylerL
I just mounted a tire using only screwdrivers. It was to test for rim leaks. My mom came out to see what the bang was when the bead seated. I wish I could mount all my tires myself but it's not worth the risk to save $50. I'll stick to bike tires.

Noting if you're doing this for the road or want to preserve the tire, you want something (like, oh, a properly designed tire tool) at least an inch wide to keep from digging into the bead.

It would be almost impossible to not damage the tire using only screwdrivers. I had to use a pry bar to get the tire off. I then cut the sidewalls out of the tire to use the rubber.

I've used large screwdrivers with no problem. But I did buy a pair of tire irons from Harbor Freight for a few dollars each to make the job easier.

Originally Posted By: TylerL
It would be almost impossible to not damage the tire using only screwdrivers. I had to use a pry bar to get the tire off. I then cut the sidewalls out of the tire to use the rubber.

This statement is almost as patently wrong as the one, "no one can do a proper job changing oil at home"

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back