Hunting Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strictly for small game, the .22's the way to go, but you also mention clay targets,,,that absolutely calls for a shotgun. So far the 12ga. is all that's been mentioned, but for small game, wild birds (other than waterfoul, which require steel shot) the 20 gauge is an attractive alternative for the recoil shy.

Bob

I'm not pushing this. But I learned to hunt with a Savage single shot 20 Ga. full choke. One shot is what you get. When you get something you have earned it.

And while not the best you can shoot trap with it.

Its safe you will learn to shoot...if you stick with it. I didn't and I am not a shooter.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
the 20 gauge is an attractive alternative for the recoil shy.
Bob

Hahahaha that Savage is feather light and kicks like [censored].
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Strictly for small game, the .22's the way to go, but you also mention clay targets,,,that absolutely calls for a shotgun.

Tell that to Doc Carver !!!

Maybe an H&R - one barrel shotgun, and the other a rifle.

As to the old adage of "beware the man with only one gun", two weeks ago at the rifle range, a kid with a .22 and a fixed power scope beat a couple of the club members with variable power scoped high $ centrefire - at 300 yards.

Guys in the butts were relaying their experiences.

Normally "crack" as the projectile flies over Supersonic, then the bang. This, hear a light crack (like a .22 being fired from a distance), then hearing a "plop" as a hole appears in the target.

When I get home, I'll load up my models...I think 6 feet is conservative.

"..two weeks ago at the rifle range, a kid with a .22 and a fixed power scope beat a couple of the club members with variable power scoped high $ centrefire - at 300 yards."

The centerfire shooters need more practice, better ammo or better rifles. In the butts during a highpower match we all watched a shooter have to shoot three strings at the 300 yard rapid in order for his groups to open up enough to count ten holes in the target. At the 300 yard line one starts at a standing position with a loaded rifle and has 70 seconds to drop into a prone position, shoot, reload once, and finish shooting for a total of ten rounds, with an open sight rifle. He was shooting a .308 M1A as a service rifle.

For the most economic solution ( as in cheap ) :

Remington 597 22LR is actually a pretty good semi , cheaper than the 10/22 . Not many hicap mags or aftermarket goodies available .

H&R1871 ( I'm thinking Marlin just bought H&R ? ) 12 Ga. single shot , usable and under $100 .

1ststruck, he didn't beat ALL of the centrefire shooters, but a handful. Possible 100 score, and he got 56.

Course of fire, prone, 5 exposures of 20 seconds each. 5 shots in 1 minute, 5 shots in 30 seconds, 5 exposures of 3 seconds (random 5-15 seconds between exposures.) Bolt or single shots only, no smeis down here.

for a accurate 22 get a remington 541 heavy barrel, a few years ago myself and 3 friends were invited to a match at a local club where you fired groups at 50 yards. if you were not satified you could buy more targets and refire, most had single shot 22s that cost more than a grand and they all had flags showing the wind. anyhow after the day of shooting we were told to not come back as we outshot all of the high priced 22 with our reminton 541 which were untouched, no freefloating or no trigger work

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Tempest

A shotgun will kill just about anything, but there may not be much left after.
That was my thought. Rabbits and Squirrels will be blown to pieces with a shot gun.

This is incorrect. A shotgun is perfect for either, using #6 birdshot. I've taken 100's of these critters during my youth with shotgun.

Since you mentioned skeet use also: Depending on how serious you are about skeet, there are a wide range of possibilities. Perhaps a 20 Ga. double, because of the balance/handling, and if you shop, a used one may be the way to go if you can get someone qualified to evaluate it. If you decide on a double, the brands, including used range from Browning, Ithaca, Winchester, Remington, Ruger, SKB, and many others. Google "double barrel shotguns" for about a million hits.

My Remington 597 .22LR is way more accurate than my 10/22. As long as you get the 3rd Generation mags, you'll be fine. I have never had a problem with it.

Also look into the Savage Mark II .22LR line of rifles. Very well built and are reasonably priced.

So far as squirrels go I kill them with my .177 pellet rifle all the time. Its not loud so it doesnt scare the neighbors, and if it misses or ricochets its not going to do the damage to whatever it hits down range that a .22 bullet will. I hope anyone that shoots squirrels with a .22 shoots them when theyre on the ground instead of in the trees because the .22 bullets travel a long way if you miss.

For small game that you may want to eat I would take a good look at a low maintenance bolt action 22LR in a CZ 452, CZ 453. With a good scope they are very accurate out of the box and reasonably priced.

For skeet shooting I would recommend a shotgun specifically made for skeet shooting they are generally expensive and very specialized in stock dimensions, sighting system, and barrel length.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back