HELP ! Kenworth oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent one to them from my t-600 kenworth truck,,, they ran the test and based it on 15,000 mile oil when the reported milage i reported was 5,045

I talked to them about this and what they have people trained to run the test equipment that dont have the foggiest idea how to interpet results.I explained that for example 24 ppm tin might seem fine for 15,000 mile oil but might be critical for 5,000 mile oil he acted like he didnt understand why !!! Am i crazy asuming this oil test was a total waste of my money?

Test Results:

iron-17
chromium-13
lead-13
copper-17
tin-24
aluminum-14
molybdenum-8
silicon27
sodium-21
potassium-12
water- oxidation-7.0
v100c-14.6
glyco- blank,,, none i guess
fuel- tbn-8.8
nitration-2.5
soot-1.1
v40c-113
vindex-132

12 gal oil capacity
Oil was mystic 15-40 synthetic blend
And 1 gal was added at about 3,000 miles.

Can anyone interpet this and tell me if something might be critical or even if i need to change the oil yet?????

Any recomendations on who i should sample through next time ?

Thanks!
Fustrated in Idaho

Last edited:
I do not know what this engine will throw out BUT looks OK to me I would trend it and go to 10K and check again.

Oil additives and wear metals get mixed into new oils at a change out and you may have some iron/wear metals from old oil still showing and as such iron may not increase much at 10K.

I'd run 10K and then test or change and keep this data for future reference and always run a Virgin sample with you send in a used sample to compare, as example some oils have a good dose of silicone as a anti foam yet the lab may interpet this as dirt ingestion so you should know what your baseline is.
bruce

You might want to try a different lab in the future. OAI (ran through Polaris labs) or Blackstone they are inexpensive and their baseline gives clear warnings and OAI trends with charting. You certainly seem to have some soot loading going on for that low amount of miles. How much idle time do you have and/or does this model have an ISX motor running EGR? What full flow filter are you using? Fleetguard?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pickled
You might want to try a different lab in the future. OAI (ran through Polaris labs) or Blackstone they are inexpensive and their baseline gives clear warnings and OAI trends with charting. You certainly seem to have some soot loading going on for that low amount of miles. How much idle time do you have and/or does this model have an ISX motor running EGR? What full flow filter are you using? Fleetguard?

I work the oil feild so about 25% of my time is idle for unloading, cement sand and water and some idle time waiting to load and unload.

Cummins 475 ISX Pre EGR but I had dual exhaust/mufflers until they mounted my blower and they had to disconnect one exhaust/muffler, now all exhaust runs through one.

I run all fleetguard filters.

thanks guys

Last edited:
Man you would be a great candidate for a centrifuge or bypass filter set-up. That soot accumulation from idle is going to beat up on your ISX pretty badly. I bet that your wear will really start to ramp up towards the end of your current oil change interval. Start tracking both your hours and miles for oil change intervals from now on. With that much idle time the hours will most likely be a better conditional maintenance tool for yah than the miles.

I don't recall seeing that much Tin being native to ISX UOA's relative to other metals. Did you get a new oil cooler recently? Good news is that it appears your injectors are still working right because fuel dilution was mighty low. Are you using a Donaldson synthetic media air filter...if not look into it because they can take a lot more dirt before you start to lose your combustion air. You might also want to look at a full synthetic oil to pair with that bypass filter or centrifuge so you can get your money back on extended oil change intervals. Good luck out in the fields!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back