Hydrostatic Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Murray Lawn tractor that has a Peerless Silenttrac hydrostatic drive. Well, to me, its kind of noisy, sounds noisier than when it was new. Is there any way of checking/changing the fluid? What would it use?

Yes, There are two rubber plugs on top of the unit. One is for gear oil and one is for hydro oil. The best way to drain it is to remove the trasaxle and turn it upside down. I used mobil 1 15w50 in mine and it made a huge difference in speed and the way it responded overall, I definitely recommended you change it if it's never been done.

Oh, the hydro oil should be to the top and the gear oil holds something like 20 ounces I think. And I used a gear oil bottle to refill the hydro oil, It made the job much easier.

How long did you go before changing? I have one on my new mower and was wondering when I would need to change it (the fluids).

Cool. Just use motor oil? You used 15W50, would 5w40 Rotella T work? I have some free RTS I could use... What type of gear oil does it use?

Originally Posted By: 4esorselrahc
How long did you go before changing? I have one on my new mower and was wondering when I would need to change it (the fluids).

I would say every 2-3 years depending on how much it is used.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Cool. Just use motor oil? You used 15W50, would 5w40 Rotella T work? I have some free RTS I could use... What type of gear oil does it use?

Yes I used a 50 weight, they seem to like it thick. As for a 40 weight I personally wouldn't but you could ask JTK, He is very knowledgeable on OPE and would know if it's safe or not. As for gear oil I used 80w90 and I think the hydro unit holds about 1 1/2 quarts or so.

I forgot to mention not to fill the gear oil to the top, It only requires a certain amount which is somewhere around what I mentioned earlier. Hopefully someone will know for sure.

Well, I drained and filled with RTS 5W40 in the hydraulics and Rotella 80W90 in the gears. I put in half a quart and it was more than halfway up the side gears, which seemed like enough. The unit is still out though. Having it out made it easier to R&R the deck. So If I hear 5W40 is a no go Ill just drain it again, treat it as a flush.. I figured it would be alright because I saw on another site where someone got tecumseh to tell them the hydro took straight 20..

btw, I need to find out how to replace a bearing on this thing.. :p

2-3 years?

Uh-oh.

I'm on 11 years of 3 hours of mowing 3 Acres each time............

27.gif

...but everything seems fine.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
2-3 years?

Uh-oh.

I'm on 11 years of 3 hours of mowing 3 Acres each time............

27.gif

...but everything seems fine.

What kind of mower do you have?

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Well, I drained and filled with RTS 5W40 in the hydraulics and Rotella 80W90 in the gears. I put in half a quart and it was more than halfway up the side gears, which seemed like enough. The unit is still out though. Having it out made it easier to R&R the deck. So If I hear 5W40 is a no go Ill just drain it again, treat it as a flush.. I figured it would be alright because I saw on another site where someone got tecumseh to tell them the hydro took straight 20..

btw, I need to find out how to replace a bearing on this thing.. :p

Good deal, It should be ok as long as it's not slower or nosier than before.

I don't have mine anymore but the last time I replaced a spindle bearing it was not very fun. Remove the blade, Remove the pulley and unbolt it from the deck and then somehow remove the shaft from the spindle housing, That's was the fun part. I wish I could help more but that's all I remember.

Last edited:
Hehe.. Thanks Clayton. I'm not overly familiar with this particular trans given it's seperate diff housing/gear oil, but for the hydrostatic drive, yep. 5w40 would work well. IMO, the older and more worn the trans, the higher up I'd go, up to a 50wt.

Joel

Guys,

It's a Red MTD Yard Machine I bought at Wal-Mart 11 years ago.

Which brand & type should it be changed to?

Thanks...

Originally Posted By: JTK
Hehe.. Thanks Clayton. I'm not overly familiar with this particular trans given it's seperate diff housing/gear oil, but for the hydrostatic drive, yep. 5w40 would work well. IMO, the older and more worn the trans, the higher up I'd go, up to a 50wt.

Joel

Cool, I didn't want him to destroy his trans. I had a couple OPE shop owners tell me that tecumseh says to use 20w50.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Guys,

It's a Red MTD Yard Machine I bought at Wal-Mart 11 years ago.

Which brand & type should it be changed to?

Thanks...

I think that's a hydro-gear unit if so you could use the same thing. I don't think it has the separate fill for the gear oil though so it might hold more oil.

Right on. If it's a Wally World MTD, it will have a Hydro-Gear. I'd run a 15w40 HDEO in it.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Right on. If it's a Wally World MTD, it will have a Hydro-Gear. I'd run a 15w40 HDEO in it.

Ok. Will it go faster then??
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back