ABS Light keeps coming on - 95 Integra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'll try to explain this as thoroughly as possible since I know next to nothing about brakes. I was driving around one day when I started hearing an audible scraping sound coming from my back wheel, but only at certain speeds. If I pressed the brakes, the noise would stop until I let go again. The ABS light also came on. I stopped the car at my destination and came back and it was no longer making the noise and the ABS light was off. A month or so later, I was driving and after about 50 miles the brakes started making the noise again but the ABS light wasn't on. Then a few days later I was driving and the ABS light came on again out of nowhere, but with no noise. Turned the car off and it was fine again. Then today I was driving and I left a business and started driving home and the light came on again. I shut the car off at a red light and turned it back on again and the light went off. I got onto the freeway, drove towards my house and when I got off the exit and went to push my brakes at the red light, the ABS was engaging and causing my car to do the grabbing/pulsating normally accompanied by a loss of traction causing the ABS to go on and make the wheels not lock up. Then the ABS light came on again right after it did that. Went home again, then went up the road and the light came on... again. I'm thinking it might be a sensor of some sort but I wonder with the noise that happened a few months ago, if there's something else wrong? The brakes themselves are not that old. A year ago, there was approx. 80% brake pad left according to Acura when they checked them for me. Any thoughts?

ThirdEye,

Sounds like a broken ABS sensor or sensor dongle.

Might as well replace it with a new one and see how it goes.

Take care,
Q.

I wish I knew more about brakes to look at it. I know how to take the wheel off, easy enough, but I wouldn't know what to look for once it's off and see how to clean it and whatnot. The Helm's manual is like greek to me as well.

I suggest searching for an Integra forum. You're going to have to sift through a lot of ricey stuff, but you might find some instructions on a diagnosis.

Honda ABS systems typically have some kind of ABS contoller box...my Legend does anyway. When trouble is found in the system, it sets the ABS light. The controller has a little window where you can observe some blinking LEDs which correspond to a trouble code for various sensors or inputs/outputs. The trouble codes are "soft" codes, meaning they get erased when the ignition is turned off.

You'll probably find this on your own but there are some pictures here of the procedure to clean the sensors. If you can tell what they're depicting.. the first picture looks kind of confusing to me. A search for "integra abs sensor" actually shows several results for cleaning the sensors, so maybe there is hope for not having to replace anything.

EDIT: Also that procedure is for the front wheels, but things probably look fairly similar on the back ones.

Last edited:
In my girlfriend`s Olds 88,the ABS and Traction Control Off lights came on at the same time and have been that way for months now. No performance differences though. Makes me wonder if it`s just a typical GM "idiot light" or if her car really has an issue?

Our integra had ABS problems... so much for honda quality...

Ours was typically related to the fact that the ABS system would loose its brake fluid over time. There is a small rubber cap on a very small plastic reervoir that sits over the ABS pump.

Yours sounds like a sensor issue, but all the same, you might want to check that levl anyway...

JMH

I check the level every time I'm under the hood and it's been fine. I believe it's the sensor, as if it were the pump it would have the ABS light come on before you even start to move the car because it wouldn't be able to pressurize. Mine comes on after I get past about 15mph, like clockwork.

Like the others, I think you have something simple to fix like a wheel sensor.

My Legend has had the ASB light on for almost a year now. The pump will constantly run every few minutes trying to maintain pressure. I just pulled the pump motor relay which causes the ABS light to come on.

There's an internal leak in the ABS modulator; pressure is bleeding past the solenoids. I think it's a seal (o-ring) problem, but I just haven't felt ambitious enough to tear into it.

Funny thing...the FSM shows how to disassemble the modulator, but none of the parts are available from Honda. More funny...a rebuilt modulator is more expensive than a new OEM unit.

ABS problems are a chronic problem with old 86-90 Legends.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
In my girlfriend`s Olds 88,the ABS and Traction Control Off lights came on at the same time and have been that way for months now. No performance differences though. Makes me wonder if it`s just a typical GM "idiot light" or if her car really has an issue?

Sounds like the ABS controller (ECU) is at fault there and maybe for the OP as well. On my SAAB, when the ECU on the ABS pump goes out, it trips the ABS light, the TCS light, and causes the speedo to go out, but not all at once, and sometimes they will continue to work intermittently. For me, to avoid buying a whole new pump, I bought a used one online and separated the ECU/servos and popped it on the old pump. Fixed everything right off but the TCS light, which, for me, requires someone with a SAAB tech II device to recalibrate. But I imagine the setup isn't too different for other cars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back