Yamaha ring free

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a product I use in my motorcycle and it seems to keep things very clean inside. Many boaters love this stuff also. Does anyone use this or have any thoughts on it?

I not sure we can post the link, but here is the link to the MSDS:

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/forms/ACCRNGFREE12.pdf

Says it contains 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene (CAS# 95-63-6), 2%;
Petroleum distillate (CAS #64742-94-5), 25%
Proprietary additive (CAS#: Mixture), 70@
Xylene (CAS # 1330-20-7), 3%.

I'm no chemist, so I don't know whether those components, or the levels/mixtures of those components, would be good for 4-cycle engine/combustion chamber deposits.

Xylene is gooder!! Trimethylbenzene is lovely too...it is used in a ton of additive products. Unfortunately the proprietary additive that makes up 70% of the formulation is still unknown. If it doesn't list "appropriate for 4 cycle use" in the descriptions I wouldn't play with it...unless you got a junker laying around to experiment on.

Pickled said: "If it doesn't list "appropriate for 4 cycle use" in the descriptions I wouldn't play with it...unless you got a junker laying around to experiment on."

Well, the MSDS states, in Section I, Product Identity, "Brief Description: Combustion chamber cleaner for gasoline powered engines." This is listed ahead of the ingredients.

Does that change your mind? Depending on the price, it might be a good deal.

Thanks for the info guys. I should have gave more details in my post, sorry. The bottle says

"Improves power and efficiency in 2 and 4 cycle engines. Removes deposits. Cleans away carbon & varnish from ring lands, pistons, combustion chambers, intake & exhaust manifolds, ports, valves, vapor separator tank, carburetors & injectors in 2 and 4 stroke engines. Can extend engine life by removing deposits that cause ring sticking and wear".

Shock treatment for old built up deposits...2 oz/gal
Older heavily deposited engines may require a second shock treatment.

It is recommended to change oil in 4 stroke engines after shock treatment.

Constant treatment to maintain protection from harmful deposit build up.... 1 oz/10 gal

Minimum shock treatment per engine... 3.3 to 1.7 liter engines should run 64 gal of treated gas

700cc to 1.6 liter should run 24 gal of treated gas

699cc and below should run 12 gal of treated gas

This product has doubled in price over the last 5 years or so and now cost about $16.00 per 12oz. It DOES NOT say safe for oxygen sensors or converters so it must be good!

Thanks again.

If one of the chemists could chime in, given the ingredients listed in the MSDS and the percentages, is this stuff safe for cat-equipped cars? I would guess yes; other products that we THINK are safe don't say one way or another that they are safe for oxy sensors and cats.

Originally Posted By: cven
It DOES NOT say safe for oxygen sensors or converters so it must be good!

Thanks again.

it would be even better if it said "Harmful or fatal if swallowed"

axjohn I have been buying this at the local cycle dealer, a yamaha outboard dealer should have it also. With 70% of its makeup unknown it will be hard to compare with other products by spec sheets I guess.

Sorry to dig up and old thread. I just picked up some Ring Free Plus, which I guess is an updated version of Ring Free. There are no dosage directions on the bottle, and I can't find anything on the bottle. I suppose the directions are similar to what cven posted above for Ring Free. Or do any of you have updated info on this?

Thanks.

BTW, I'm planning to use it in my 500cc bike.

According to YAMALUBE, the proper treatment ratio is 1 ounce per gallon of fuel. The new formula is designed to protect metals from E10-caused corrosion.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: rshunter
According to YAMALUBE, the proper treatment ratio is 1 ounce per gallon of fuel.

Thanks. Can you provide a link?

According to this dealer site, it's still 1 oz per 10 gallons, or 2 oz per gallon if doing a shock treatment:

http://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Yamalube_Ring_Free_Fuel_Additive_p/acc-rngfr-32-00case.htm

Okay, admission time. I had a serious "brain f@rt". The correct ratio is 1 oz per 10 gallons, in fact it's what I was supposed to be quoting. Why I put "1 oz per gallon", I have no idea...
33.gif
DURRRRR!!!

Something still does not sound right. They are saying that shock treatment is 20 times the regular dosage! For example, on a small car such as Corolla with 16gallon tank, you will have to use the 32Oz bottle of ring-free which costs approximately $50 shipped!

I am doubting that ratio.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Something still does not sound right. They are saying that shock treatment is 20 times the regular dosage! For example, on a small car such as Corolla with 16gallon tank, you will have to use the 32Oz bottle of ring-free which costs approximately $50 shipped!

Not only that, but for an engine that's between 1.7 and 3.3-liter in displacement, they want you to burn through 64 gallons of the resulting mixture, so that's 4 tanks in case of this Corolla.

Their customer base are the boat owners. These are the people who take their cash and sink it. Money flows like water as far as they are concerned. There is nothing common with normal people and boat owners.

I think those numbers look incorrect. Any boat owner want to chime in after I said those nasty things?

I hope you know I am just kidding.

- Vikas

Their customer base are the boat owners.

Good point. Makes you wonder whether the shock treatment dosage for a boat engine would be the same as for a motorcycle engine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Their customer base are the boat owners.
Good point. Makes you wonder whether the shock treatment dosage for a boat engine would be the same as for a motorcycle engine.

To be honest, I think I'd just try it at 2 X's the maintenance dosage for a couple of tanks and have a look down a spark-plug hole. If that's possible, that is. Otherwise, I'd do the same and just carry on with normal maintenance dosing.

There's far less chance of water contamination in a non-boating or PWC application, and we do tend to over-think and agonize about stuff around here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back