2001 Toyota Echo Manual Tranny slight grind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have a Toyota Echo with a 5 speed tranny that grinds ever so slightly in all the gears. The car has about 115k miles on the clock. It is more of a notchy shifting situation. I had a car with bad synchros, so I am familiar with how bad synchros feel.

I have tried different fluids... synthetic 75w90, normal 75w90, and Redline mt90 (worked the best, but the plm didn't go away.

I realize that a new tranny or putting in new synchros is the best fix. But if all possible I would like to use a fluid that can improve the synchro performance.

Some people have used the Pennzoil Synchromesh mixed with normal fluid. Is this a bad idea? Will it shorten the life of my tranny? It appears the Pennzoil is made from 10w30 oil and is equivalent to 80w fluid? I am not an oil fella, so I do not have the know how to interpret these facts.

Any help? Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Brad

First off, find out whether your grind has something to do with clutch pressure plate fingers being "weak" or plate drag (that causes minor grinding/gear clash as well);

Secondly, check/replace the gear lube with proper grade (I believe it calls for 75W90 GL-4/5 lube).

DO NOT MIX engine oil, ATF, etc. with gear lube for this will upset the delicate balance of AW, anti-foaming additives.

Lastly, get a trannie shop to provide an assessment to your situation and if it's deemed that all synchros are worn or in need of replacement, you may opt for either a rebuild or wrecker unit.

Q.

Originally Posted By: MotorcycleMan
Hi,
I have tried different fluids... synthetic 75w90, normal 75w90, and Redline mt90 (worked the best, but the plm didn't go away.

Which 75W-90's did you try? Where the purpose made MT fluids or diff fluids?

If MT90 did not do it then nothing is going to improve it from a fluid only stand point! MT90 and MTL are about as good as it gets for a vast number of transmissions. Most but not all Toyota transmissions like either MTL/MT90 or a 50/50 mix of the two. So I would say that your problemis a mechanical one and is only going to be resolved with a mechanical fix. Can you take off from a dead stop in 5th gear? If so that would tell us that you either have a worn clutch or a seriously weak pressure plate. Is your shift cable adjusted properly? How fast are you trying to shift it? TOdays cable shifted light car transmissions unless specificaly designed for high performance do not like super fast shift speeds. I realise that you are not driveing an 18 wheeler but try count to 2-3 after you come out of gear before you shift into gear it wil probably help! On a 13 speed we had one guy at truck driveing school that would actualy say "Bare Naked Ladies" outloud as his timeing device to slow his shift speed down to match the transmission.Big transmissions do not have syncros which can work for you or against you depending on how you want to drive!

Quote:

Most but not all Toyota transmissions like either MTL/MT90 or a 50/50 mix of the two

This box likes the RL mix.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have used all 75w90 lubes. I have used the redline mt90 (75w90) and I used another synthetic brand, (name unknown) and I believe I currently have chevron 75w90 lube in it.

Thanks for your time,

brad

Hi,

My clutch is definitively on the weak side. It doesn't slip during normal driving, but it will slip a bit if I rev the motor a bit and let the clutch out. Also, it chatters a bit sometimes when I take off.

As for possible drag, the clutch seems to completely disengage when I push in the clutch. It starts to re-engage about an inch off the floor.

It definitely helps a lot to shift slow. The plm either goes way, or it is slightly notchy.

Not sure how to adjust the linkage.

Thanks for your time.

brad

Hi,

I noticed you list you have an Echo too. Great gas mileage! You mentioned this tranny likes the rl mix. Redline MTL and MT90 mix?

So did you have a plm with your Echo's tranny? If this is kind of normal, I will relax more about it. Smile. I am hoping for a long life from this investment.

Thanks for your time.

brad

M.M. - Adjust the clutch pedal height [get a little more travel - just a bit].
Adjust the freeplay to the clutch master cylinder to zero, or just a hair.
Bleed the system.
Or if it is a cable, lube and adjust it for proper clutch disengagement.
This, along with good manual trans fluid, is your best bet without yanking the trans.
You mentioned that the 'plm' didn't go away - what is a 'plm'?

Quote:

Redline MTL and MT90 mix?

Yes, a 50/50 mix is what I run; capacity is 2 qts so no need to measure, just pour in.

I have used this combination for 100K miles, (I change fluid @ 30K intervals) cold weather shifting is much improved which is the reason I tried it to begin with.

It is unlikely changing fluids will solve this issue as JohnBrowning indicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back