Grease and oil on pistol rails + stp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,I read at least two threads on different gun forums about how persons put mobil one synthetic grease on their semi-auto pistol rails and afterwards put mobil one sythetic oil on top of the grease. Have you all heard anyone trying this method? If so what are the pros and cons. This is interesting to find out the outcome of what your opinions are going to be. If I may add what are the benefits of adding stp to mobil one oil for lubricating a firearm such as a pistol. Thank you

Never heard of the oil and grease combo before?

What are the supposed advantages to this? A #1 grease works just fine in the slide areas of my firearms.

Heard of the stp and motor oil though as I do the same, however, I like to add bar and chain oil to that mix as it is tacky and sticky. The stp is thick and has more anti friction adds, or so I was lead to believe.

You are probably on Sig forum. The oil/grease combo is all the rage over there. I don't really see a need to do this. If you want to use grease, just a thin one like a 0 or maybe #1.

The STP is mostly polymer designed to thicken and tackify oil. It doesn't seem to have a whole lot of AW adds. I see no reason to use this combination over a proper lubricant.

This grease is specifically designed for guns by someone very knowledgeable in field that is also a shooter:
http://www.valtrousa.com/jardinesextremegrease.html

You know Sigs like to be run wet. I personally use either TW-25B my Mil-Comm or Weapon Shield. When you buy a new Sig they give you a .25 oz packet of TW-25B and it does stay put even with extended firing. Pretty impressed with that stuff and a little goes a long way I found.

I just put it into a glass jar and stir with a popsicle stick. Heating the mix helps quite a bit. Set the jar in some hot water for a while to make the grease soften up a bit.

It can separate after a while, so mix it before each use.

Thank you for the reply on how to mix the grease and oil but if you don't mind what is the ratio of grease to oil?

I don't know the exact ratio I use. I just add oil to a given amount of grease until I come up with a consistency that I think is good. If I had to guess I'd say it's close to 50:50

If you use Mobil 1 grease, which is apparently PAO based, you might want to also use Mobil 1 Extended Protection oil because it is apparently PAO based as well. Should make things go more smoothly.

Thank you chevrofreak you have been a very big help to me. I do have mobil one grease and 20w50 mobil one motorcycle synthetic oil. I will make a batch tomorrow of your mentioned consistency and see what happens. As it is right now i put mobil one grease first on the rails then mobil one motorcycle oil with 20 per cent stp mixed and things are running smoother. However you method of mixing apart from the pistol is interesting I will try that and again thank you very much.

Quote:
stp is thick and has more anti friction adds, or so I was lead to believe.

It hdoes not have anti-friction additives. It is a tackifier.

Last edited:
You can tag STP with any name you want. I have used in in my vehicles, and on guns for over 35 years and never had any lubrication issues. If you don't think it lubricates and stops friction, try what they did in commercials for it in the 60's. Dip a screwdriver in it, then try and hold on to it. I bought many a round of drinks with money I won off that bet. Bill T.

The STP is mostly polymer designed to thicken and tackify oil.

Actually it is NOT a tackifier but a VII with a small amopunt of ZDDP added or at least it was, and a VII will impart some tack but not as near as good a a real tackifier will.
bruce

Thank you all for the wonderful information seems that I am on the right track. Keep more information coming in this is great.

Thanks for the input Bruce and Molakule.

Bill, silicone is not a good metal on metal lube. Notice that it is not recommended for that in the description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back