getting a Glock 23...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a Glock certified armorer for 12 years now. I have models 19,26,22,23,27,35,29,21. Clearly, I'm biased, so you'll have to take my view with a grain of salt. I own many other revolvers and pistols as well, but Glock is my clear choice. Also, it's my assigned duty weapon at the Sheriff's Office.

Glocks do have safeties, but they are "passive" in that you don't have to think about activating/deactivating them for the weapon to be safe, or fire. For me, that's the best.

I have a mdl 23, but I don't carry it. I favor the 10mm with full pressure loads, although the 10mm is a dying breed that never really caught on. I suspect the .357Sig variants will be the same way soon. In the US market, the 9mm succeeds because it's very cost effective to shoot, and the .45 still holds on with it's "big ol' hole" mentality. The .40s&w seems to have found the middle ground for a lot of people.

My personal opinion is that the 19, 23, and 32 are a nice compromise between size, weight, and accuracy. If that's what you seek, you'll like the 23. Like nearly evertyhing else in life, it's a compromise.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I'm thinking about getting a Glock 19 for home protection, is it worth buying a new one verses the price of a used one ?

Sorry for not answering your question right away, but if home protection is your ONLY concern, I would highly recommend a 12 gauge, or maybe a 16 if recoil is a big concern. Very inexpensive as well, compared to a Glock anyway. For home protection, a shottie cant be beat.

Although I bought my G19 new, I would have considered a used one. But at the time, they were only about $50 -75 less than a brand new one.

Last edited:
I agree. The G23 is in my dresser, but within hands reach is the Browning 12 guage pump loaded with #1 shot. I feel better with a much wider pattern in the dark in the middle of the night.

Regarding the "new versus used" issue. I see no reason to not buy used if the price is right. Several of my Glocks were bought used.

I would caution anyone that buys any firearm 2nd hand on one thing. Make SURE that you either trust the person you bought it from, or have the weapon inspected for functionality by a trusted armorer.

I will often provide free armorer service for my friends Glocks and AR-series rifles. One time I was brought a first generation, early issue Glock. It was one of the first that actually still had the internal parts that were phosphate coated and not "silver" looking. There was rust everywhere on those parts. Glock replaced everything free of cost. Apparently, it was one of the very first Glocks to be in the U.S.A.. Further, it had obvisouly been ignored when it came to maintenance.

Another time I had to refurbish a Glock that had become "touchy" with the trigger. The complaint was that it would either not fire at all, or would fire pre-maturely. I found that someone had attempted to mess with the trigger/trigger bar cruciform angle, and also "modified" the connector. Stock replacement parts (only about $5 at the time) put the weapon back in working order.

If you get a used Glock from a gun dealer, it's likely they have, or know of, a certified Glock armorer. Get an assurance from them that the weapon has been reviewd before purchase. If it's ok, then the savings of a used Glock can be worth while.

Local store has 3 1/2 in Rem 870 in wood or synthetic on sale for $299. Hard to beat if home defense or starting in shotgun sports is the main intended use.

I just picked one up recently. I was transferred to the auto theft division, which is pretty much jeans and t-shirts everyday instead of a uniform, so I needed something smaller. Nice weapon very easy to conceal, even under a t-shirt with the right holster.

This is my 1st post here so- Hi to all the oil guys and anyone contributing to a better understanding of lubes for all purposes.

I joined so I could find out about lubes for firearms and found many areas of interest. I happened across this post and felt compelled to give a big +1 for the Glock 23. I've carried and shot several G-23s over the years.

Through trial and error, I've found that an all OEM Glock is best for self defense/reliability but I love to tinker with the internals on my range/competition G-23.

I've used FP-10 for years and I'm very satisfied with its cleaning, lubricating and protecting properties. Every time I clean up after a few hundred rounds it gets easier and earier to make like new! I'll cont. on to look for advice on other products like Weapon Shield.

I've only shot one other autloading handgun (I can't remember what exactly but it was a polymer frame) besides my dad's Automag II and III, but I'm throughly impressed with my Springfield XD (.40S&W 4" Service Model) I love the grip safety in addition to the trigger safety..

Originally Posted By: Mucho_MPG
I like glocks, but the M&P is a nice weapon and you can get them for 439 bucks for a 17 round 9mm with no mag safety at Bud's Guns.

$399 for a Glock-17 with three 17rnd mags at LE price.

The biggest problem for me with the Glocks (and I owned many since they came out and have shot them tens of thousands of rounds in 9mm, .40 and 45acp) is the un-supported chamber and rifling that has issues with lead.

They are good weapons and if you shoot only ammo that is new you will be ok.

But watch out for reloads or re-manufactured ammo. I have seen for my self kabooms.

Take care, bill

I have yet to see any substantiated hazards on the lead thing. I know when I had a G21 (when they first came out), I put plenty of lead rounds through it with no problems.

The unsupported chamber thing doesn't exist in the 9mm models. I've fired super hot SMG ammo through my 17 that would have broken lesser guns.

I know Buffalo Bore does not recommend shooting their 24a/20 9mm or 23/20a 40 out of stock glocks. 1400 + ft/sec and 500 + foot lbs for the 9 and 1300 + ft/sec and 580+ ft lbs for the 40.
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back