Where do you guys buy brake pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you guys buy BICYCLE (
wink.gif
JB) brake pads?

Mine are toast.

Hit the bike shop? Online seems dicey unless you know exactly what you want.

I give my business to a local bike shop (not a chain), which has the part for an almost obscene price (same as online price plus shipping!). Mike's Bikes, REI, Pacific Bicycle, they all carry pads.

Are you talking about discs or Vee brakes?

I am able to get anything I need from one of two bike stores in my area. One of my bikes has Avid Tri Aligns on it, so I usually use Eagle Claw pads. My stepson's Giant has some low line mechanical discs... Everyone has pads for that thing.

I get them at the local bike shop and price is not a whole lot different from online or chain stores. Rim brakes I like to call them brake shoes while disc brakes are I call them brake pads.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
Rim brakes I like to call them brake shoes while disc brakes are I call them brake pads.

For your brake you have to buy the pad holder (shoe) each time? Pad and holder are an inseparable unit? I can replace just the pad. The pad holder usually doesn't go bad.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
V center pulls.

There many bike shops in Redmond. Even some that treat the customer with respect. Thanks guys.

Get this straight now! A "V" style is "linear pull" while the older cantilever is a "center pull". Which you got? :)

I go to the bike shops as they tend to be a tough cheaper if you were to factor in shipping from one of the big on-line bike stores.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
For your brake you have to buy the pad holder (shoe) each time? Pad and holder are an inseparable unit? I can replace just the pad. The pad holder usually doesn't go bad.

Yes, for the rim brakes its one whole unit. The metal part is molded in together with the rubber pad. I don't know about the more expensive ones but the ones I buy is just one piece, I usually buy the least expensive stuff. Usually you just reuse the old washers and nut since they don't come with them. I find once you go past the wear line, braking capability is significantly reduced.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Originally Posted By: Pablo
V center pulls.

There many bike shops in Redmond. Even some that treat the customer with respect. Thanks guys.

Get this straight now! A "V" style is "linear pull" while the older cantilever is a "center pull". Which you got? :)

I go to the bike shops as they tend to be a tough cheaper if you were to factor in shipping from one of the big on-line bike stores.

OK OK - never claimed to be a pro! V style. From my ancient novice hack days we said center and side pull...two choices and side pull sucked worse.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
The metal part is molded in together with the rubber pad. I don't know about the more expensive ones but the ones I buy is just one piece, I usually buy the least expensive stuff.

I don't buy stuff like that. Seems like a waste to me.

I forgot to mention, Aztec Ultra pads are good. They come in red (soft) and black (regular) and fit the standard Shimano and SRAM V-brake cartridges (shoes). Once my OEM pads are worn, I'll go with the black Aztecs.

I've had good luck with Jagwire brand pads from REI. I use the red variety. They seem to hold up well and are quiet. I've used other brands including Shimano but Jagwire outperform them. About $6 per set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back