Excel spreadsheet formulaing help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to create a spreadsheet. I want to be able to enter an amount of fluid, that contains a percentage of something, say methanol in windshield wiper fluid. I want to add water to it to reduce the percentage of methanol, or add another fluid to increase it. Instead of entering the amount of water to get the percentage, I want to be able to enter the desired percentage, and get the amount of water, or pure methanol.

In the attached zip file is the spreadsheet I have. I want to solve for b3 and not for D4. Can anyone help me? If it doesn't make sense, I can clarify. the B is amount in Liters. C is % of meth. B4 is total Liters, and D4 is desired percentage.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=100987.0;attach=81598

Last edited:
Hmm having a hard time understanding

So you have a mixture containing X amount of MeOH and you want to enter in a percent say like 30% meaning the mixture will be 30% MeOH overall so that it will tell you how much water to dilute with. Right?

That's what I got out of it... Correct me if I'm wrong.

I may be able to help you but I ain't registering for another forum to view your file lol Send it to [email protected]

Right. I emailed those who requested. Basically, I have some windshield wiper fluid with a set amount of Methanol in it. I want to either dilute (using water), or concentrate (using pure methanol). For use with water injection. I have found different winter mixes with 10% to 52%, and want to do some number crunching to see which would be the best to use for either a 50% meth mix or a 20% meth mix.

One more request for the excel geniuses. This one may be more difficult. Using the same information, plus one. If the WWF is 20% and I want 30%, I want to use another cell which has the pure methanol, or another stronger concentration of methanol. For example. I have a 34% mix and a 45% mix. How would I mix them for 40%, and figure price. How would I do the same thing with 34% and 100%

Alright guys want to bring this back to the top. Want to ask the question again. I have the formula for making a dilution, but I am wondering about making it stronger, and using 100% meth instead of the water. Also using price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back