Best car cover for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum,but it seemed like the closest match. The south Tx sun has literally eaten away at my Budge Blue Ribbon car cover (very good cover by the way for the $,about $40). I have no garage,so I cover my car every night. Before I head out and buy another Blue Ribbon,what`s the best car cover for the money,that can be bought at Autozone,Walmart,etc?

I'd say this is the right forum. A good car cover can offer excellent protection with no scratching. The wrong well.... just the opposite.

I haven't bought a cover in years but you are really on the low end of price and selection. The cover I bought years ago was a couple of bills if I remember correctly. It lasted until I sold the car in mint condition, probably 5+ years. If you are going to get a cheapie buy 2 and double cover your car. I would personally suggest stepping up a tad in price at least around the $100 range. Much better quality and will out last a couple cheapies. Believe me I've had both ends of the spectrum in the past. Look around online there are a number of covers at decent prices.

I don't know if you can still find them but Budge used to make a Tyvek cover that was flannel lined on the inside. It lasted about six years on my Camaro which stayed covered outdoors five days a week. I've since bought a house with a garage and don't need a cover, that's why I'm not sure if they're still available.

Not to hijack, but has anyone who uses a car cover ever had trouble with it wearing the paint in windy areas? I'm considering a cover to protect the Monte from cats and sun since he's sitting around more with gas prices so high, but I'm going to be stuck on the lower budget scale. I've heard that a [censored] car cover can beat up your finish worse than no car cover.

Yes a cheap cover will do damage to your finish especially if its a windy area. I would look for some other protection or simply wax the [censored] out of said car. Even a good cover with a little bit of dirt or simply enough time can wear on the paint in wind.

I have a top of line Covercraft for my Dakota and if the vehicle is dirty you can add scratches to the vehicle. It is just so big it is impossible to put on without dragging on the surface. It fits very nicely so there is minimal flapping so that is not causing the scratches but it has reduced the damaging bird bombs, etc.

California Car Cover. Using them for years and they stand behind the products. The best fit also.

I just bought a Budge car cover for my winter car sitting outside. It doesn't shed all the water from rain but it does keep the dirt and tree litter off the car. Because it breathes, any water that is let through dries out very quickly. It's a good fit on my car with no flapping in the wind.

You'll have to take the cover off from time to time and get all the dust off between your car and the cover. If it doesn't shed water off, then dust will get on it and go through it and lay between the paint and cover. That stuff acts like sandpaper over time.

QuoteYou'll have to take the cover off from time to time and get all the dust off between your car and the cover. If it doesn't shed water off, then dust will get on it and go through it and lay between the paint and cover. That stuff acts like sandpaper over time. End Quote

When my car was stored outside under just a carport, I had two covers: a soft cloth type as layer #1 and then a water repellent type as the outer cover, this counteracted the effects as discussed above...now that its in its own garage, just the soft cover from weekend to weekend its just fine.

+1 for California Car Cover
, my current toy (99 firehawk vert) sits under one now
25.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back