Gear oil for 2001 Dodge NV3500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota, 91,000 miles with a NV 3500 5 speed manual transmission and a non-LSD rear end. Per my shop manual and Dakota FSM, both parts call for Mopar Synthetic 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. The Mopar lube is expensive from the dealer, about $15 a quart and I need 5 1/2 quarts for the entire job. Plus the dealer is a long drive from my office and my home, which means more gas expense.

I can get the Valvoline Sythethetic 75W-90 gear oil at Napa just a few blocks away, and the price is $11.99 per quart. How does the Valvoline lube compared to the OEM Mopar lube? According to Ma Mopar there must be some secret ingredient in the Mopar lube, they state in the FSM their lube is the ONLY lube to be used in the NV3500. I'd like to use the Valvoline if I can, but I sure don't want problems any with my transmission or differential. I used the Mopar lube last time but the Dodge dealer where I bought it has closed his doors. It's a shame too because they had a great parts staff and were also just a few blocks away from my office.

I am not so well versed with gear lube so any info is very much appreciated.

Does it specify GL-4 or GL-5???

FWIW, we run Pennzoil 75w90 in my dad's NV4500 (behind a Cummins) with good results. That trans specifies Castrol Syntorque.

Thanks. I thought it would probably be better also. I'll stop in at Napa tomorrow. I went shopping after work tonight and Napa is the only place around here I can find the Valvoline full synthetic 75w-90.

Thanks again.

The Valvoline will work fine. I am using that in my rear diffy with good results. I have a 06 Durango that specifies 75-140 in the rear every 30,000 miles. I am over that but will not put the expensive Mopar stuff in. You can go to the Amsoil site and look under white papers and they have a test with gear oils and Mopar is included. It did fair but others did much better.

Thanks. I changed the differential gear oil last night. I found Valvoline conventional 75w-90 at Autozone for $4.99 a quart. It's doing fine and no leaks or anything. The Mopar MT oil I have has about 31K on it and my service manual says to change it every 48K so I am going to leave it in there for now unless the transmission has problems between now and then. It shifts a little hard until it warms up and is a little notchy sometimes, but it seems to be normal wear to me. I'll change the differential lube at 12K from now on since it's conventional.

The valvolie coeventional gear oil tested quite well with amsoil white paper report. I am using that in my company truck and it is about due for a change. Probably will go with M-1 synthetic this time.

My mom's Jeep called for 75w140, and I used Valvoline in there, no problem.

Valvoline is usually the least expensive and easiest to find synthetic gear oil out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back